Employees of the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority struck at 12:01 a.m. today, threatening the ability of 350,000 people to get to work this morning, including hundreds of University faculty, staff, and students. All city bus, trolley and subway service has been shut-down, leaving only the commuter rails -- which primarily serve the suburbs -- in operation. The University, however, prepared for the strike, and plans to put its contingency plan into effect. The University will offer free shuttle bus service in conjunction with Drexel University, providing transportation between the campus and a few strategic points in the Philadelphia area. All faculty, staff and students with PennCards will be eligible to ride the shuttle. Buses will depart from 30th Street Station, 16th and Locust streets and 69th Street Terminal, and will drop passengers off at Houston Hall. Specific information about the shuttle schedule can be obtained by calling 215-898-MELT. According to a University statement, buses will leave every half-hour from the proposed locations, starting at about 7 a.m. and running until about 9 a.m. Transportation leaving the University in the afternoon will also depart from Houston Hall, beginning at about 4:30 p.m. and running until about 9:45 p.m. Buses to 30th Street Station will end at 6 p.m. Transport Workers Union Local 234 has been without a contract since March 14. The strike is the product of a major dispute between the union and SEPTA concerns over a demand by the union for a 3 percent wage increase. The original strike deadline was set for March 15th at 12:01 a.m. but was extended for two weeks until today after a last minute effort to postpone a strike by both sides. Union officials have given no indication of how long a strike might last. The last SEPTA strike, in 1986, lasted four days.