Wharton junior Kendrick Cox was elected president of the Black Student League for the next academic year at a BSL meeting last night in DuBois College House. Cox defeated College junior Onyx Finney, College junior William Walton and College sophomore Obinna Adibe, who was later elected treasurer. College sophomore Anika Francis was elected vice president, also defeating Walton and Adibe. Cox, making his pitch to an audience of about 50 students -- 20 of whom are full members of the BSL and have voting privileges -- said his vision for the coming term is "Alive in '95." Cox said the BSL must increase its membership to make itself a more effective voice for African-American students. "I'm talking about a membership that cares," said Cox, who served as the BSL representative to the United Minorities Council in his freshman and sophomore years. Cox told the audience that he wants a membership drive at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters to help achieve his goal. He also said he will try to bring together various African-American organizations at the University to form a tutoring project, through which African-American students can tutor each other. Cox added that it is necessary for African-American students to take more leadership roles on campus so they can be leaders in the future. "How can we be future leaders if we're not leaders right now?" Cox asked. Outgoing BSL President Robyn Kent, a College senior, was enthusiastic about Cox's election. "As president, I think he'd represent the Black Student League and the black students here on campus very well," Kent said. "Hopefully, he will continue a lot of what was implemented in the last year, and in addition to that, add new things to what was done last year." Cox said he is "elated" by his victory, adding that he competed with "a great field" of candidates. "When you have four people running for one position alone, it's unprecedented," he said. Others elected to the BSL board include College freshman Kenna Wyllie, who will serve as the BSL representative to the Student Activities Council, and College sophomore Sean Coleman, who will be the BSL's United Minorities Council representative.