Citing his advancing years, University Chaplain Stanley Johnson has announced that he will retire on June 30, following 34 years of service on campus. University President Judith Rodin said yesterday that before a search committee is appointed to find a new chaplain, she and Provost Stanley Chodorow will bring together a group to talk about the role of a chaplain at a modern university. Creating such a group was Johnson's recommendation. Before attending divinity school in Philadelphia, Johnson was a student at Princeton University, where he was a member of the track team. Ordained as a deacon and then an Episcopal priest in 1954, he became chaplain at Vanderbilt University in Nashville. Johnson was hired as University Chaplain in 1961. During his tenure at the University, Johnson has primarily served as a counselor, spearheading programs for students with questions about their sexuality and dealing with women's issues. The programs are now independent agencies. "I would foresee these [needs] and then the University would regularize them by hiring somebody to do them," he said. Johnson also served as Dean of Admissions from October 1974 until 1977. Johnson listed traveling, volunteering and the pursuit of various hobbies as activities that will occupy his time after he leaves the Chaplain's post. "I've gotten to the age where now I think it's time for me to do other things, look at more retirement things," he said. "I'm over 65 years old." However, he said he plans to remain involved in University life. Although he will not "be a prime partner in the things that go on anymore," Johnson said he will attend athletic events at the Palestra and Franklin Field and will move with his wife to a home nearby in West Philadelphia. Rodin said she knew Johnson well when she was an undergraduate at the University. Now, he is her "back-door neighbor," living in the University Chaplain's residence behind Eisenlohr Hall. "When he came to see me I very regretfully accepted his resignation," Rodin said. "[Johnson] has been a legend and an institution at Penn?and so I will miss him sorely in a lot of dimensions." Penn Hillel Director Jeremy Brochin said he will also miss Johnson, whom he characterized as "a support for me?who has made an important contribution to the University over many years." Brochin added that he thinks reevaluating the University Chaplain's role will be beneficial for the campus community because it will identify new opportunities for pastoral involvement in campus life, such as coordinating social action programs and increasing interfaith activities. Johnson offered a few words of wisdom for his successor, gleaned from his years of experience as a clergy member at the University. "Enjoy the place thoroughly, don't be afraid of it," he said. "If one comes with an open mind, an interest in it, a lively intellectual curiosity about what's going on, why I think anybody would enjoy themselves at a place like Penn."