Philadelphia's hippest street will get a $10 million overhaul of its streetscape if the South Street/Headhouse District has its way. The SSHD, a privately run special services organization, wants to improve the public environment by reconstructing sidewalks, increasing street lighting and adding greenery and public art displays. The SSHD, which lies between Front and 11th streets, Bainbridge and Lombard streets, and along Second Street south to Pine Street, hired the Delta Group to draw up a proposal for the improvements. While the design is only in the planning state, SSHD Executive Director Peter Whitehouse hopes construction will begin by next year. He added that the planned renovations are contingent on grants from the city and charitable foundations. According to Herb Vederman, deputy mayor for economic development, the SSHD would have to rely primarily on private sources for funding. Vederman said that although the city is willing to provide bolstered services to the SSHD, it is unlikely the city will be able to provide funding for the capital project. In the mean time, however, improvements have already been made on the street. Earlier this year, Vederman made arrangements with the Philadelphia Electric Company to install Victorian style street lamps on South Street between Front and Eight streets. "The South Street/Headhouse District has markedly improved in the past few years because of the increased maintenance and security," Whitehouse said. "The perception of crime on South Street is largely due to public misconceptions." Whitehouse added that South Street provides an extremely safe environment, due in part to the South Street Police mini-station, and increased police presence. He added that the SSHD is continuing to provide regular street sweeping and "power washing" of the sidewalks. In addition, parking restrictions have recently been added on the street to ease traffic flow during weekend evenings. After 6 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights, the left two lanes are reserved for moving traffic while the right lane is a "valet" lane, in which cars can pull over for up to 15 minutes. There are also valet stations along the street for people who do not want to search for their own parking.