Hagan was an Internet pioneer Data Communications and Computing Services operations manager John Hagan, known at the University as the "Father of PennNet," resigned last Friday to pursue a job in private industry. "It's like Captain Kirk leaving the Enterprise," DCCS senior networking consultant Tony Olejnik said. Hagan, a member of the Engineering Class of 1985, has maintained and updated the network architecture of PennNet. He has also coordinated with various Internet service providers to improve the University's network connection to the Internet. Considered a data communications expert, Hagan was offered three jobs from private computer companies, according to DCCS Executive Director Daniel Updegrove. Updegrove would not comment, however, on where Hagan will be working when he leaves the University. A replacement has yet to be determined, he added. "John has played a key role in architecting, deploying -- and debugging -- each generation of PennNet, from the original AT&T; ISN through our current switched Ethernets in DRL," an email message from Updegrove to DCCS staff stated. Hagan was the first engineer hired by the University to design and build PennNet, Updegrove said. During the initial stages of PennNet, Hagan worked closely with AT&T; in the development of the technology that was originally used in the campus network, he added. Since bringing the University into the Information Age, Hagan has been instrumental in promoting the University's relations with prominent companies such as Cisco, Digital Equipment Corporation and Bell Atlantic. "Even though John is leaving, some of his thinking and ideas will be living on in the programs that we've been working on in the past year," said Ira Winston, School of Engineering and Applied Science computing director. Currently, Hagan is part of the Network Architecture Task Force that is exploring ways to redesign and update PennNet as new software and technology is created. "John has tentatively agreed to come back once a month for that one activity," Winston said. Hagan also worked with Olejnik on IPX routing -- one feature of a network package developed by Novell which has not yet been implemented on a large scale at the University. IPX routing would, for example, allow students in Resnet dormitories to easily share their hard disk space with each other even if their computers are located in different buildings. Hagan also co-authored an Internet "Request for Comments" -- a technical document used to define guidelines for the global network. A formal notification of Hagan's departure was posted by Updegrove last night on newsgroups upenn.talk and upenn.super-users, where students and faculty will be able to respond and send comments to Hagan. "It can be a network testimonial to the man that helped build the network," Updegrove said. A farewell party is being held for Hagan on Friday, February 10. Members of the Internet community, including University of Pittsburgh's director of network engineering, are expected to attend. "He was the heart and soul of the Penn network," Olejnik said.