Although graffiti is often considered an inescapable part of the urban landscape, the University and various city organizations have recently become increasingly more vigilant about decreasing its presence. "There has been some talk about it being an expression of art," Executive Director of the Center City District Paul Levy said this week. "To us, this is just vandalism." The quasi-governmental CCD has the authority to tax businesses within its boundaries, using the revenue to pay for extra services beyond those provided by the city, such as cleaning and security. Last September, the CCD launched a special project team to begin removing graffiti from downtown businesses and public property. And thus far, Levy said the program has been a success. He owes this to "a business community prepared to invest money in its maintenance." Officials at the University have also taken a strong stance against graffiti. Vice President for Facilities Management Art Gravina expressed concern about graffiti on University property. "Where we see it, we take immediate steps to remove it," he said. Gravina stressed that quick removal of graffiti is the key to its deterrence. By negating its ability create a statement, it removes the motivation to do it. "By and large, graffiti is not a welcome expression on campus," he added. Gravina added that a strong police presence is also helpful. Gravina said the amount of graffiti at the University has remained constant, and is a problem that mainly affects facilities further away from the center of campus. Tom Spencer, a member of the city's Anti-Graffiti Network, said his organization employs volunteers to help clear graffiti and educate communities about the problem. The AGN has become well known for its public art campaign, which seeks out former wall-writers to create large murals on empty walls throughout the city. Levy said that graffiti has a detrimental effect on neighborhoods, because people "get the message the area is out of control and unsafe."