With fire in their eyes and words that could slice a raw beefsteak paper thin, the 750 young competitors in the University's 1995 Liberty Bell Classic High School Debate Tournament were welcomed this past weekend by the University's Debate Council. Although forensics competition was the tournament's primary purpose, the event also served to expose talented high school students to University life, Debate Council Members said. "We are part of the University, like the winning Penn basketball team, which attracts students to Penn and portrays it in a good light," said College senior and debate team member Randi Reich. "The participants are bright kids and we'd like to get as many applicants as possible." Tournament Director Paul Higday, a Management and Technology junior, agreed the tournament was aimed at recruiting the typically focused student characteristic of tournament participants. "For the most part, these are above-average students with upper-level intelligent thinking," he said. The Debate Council gave participating students an admissions information packet, in an effort to encourage participating students to apply to the University. In addition, because the contests were held in 10 buildings across campus, competitors became familiar with the campus. Tournament participant Jason Kochel, a high school senior from Ocean Township, New Jersey, said walking around the University's campus and interacting with the University students running the tournament gave him a well-rounded prospective of the University. He also said that his weekend in Philadelphia made him consider the University as a place he would like to spend four years. But recruitment is not unique to this year's annual tournament. College freshman and Debate Council member Joshua Rockoff said he attributes his presence at the University to his experience at last year's tournament. "I had never really seen Penn," he said. "I never really knew it existed. Then I heard of the tournament, came last year, thought it was really cool and I have loved it ever since. "I heard about the reputation of Penn's Speech and Debate team and coming from a strong program in high school, I knew I wanted to compete," Rockoff added. Bronx Science High School Forensics Director Robert Levinson, a 1984 Wharton graduate, said the competition allowed the members of his team to explore the University. "It can very much influence students' decisions," he said. "I have 25 juniors who see the campus. That makes it a more realistic option. "I know students who come because of the expertise of Penn's debate team," Levinson added. "It is a good option if they want to continue competing." Levinson, who was the the co-president of the University's Speech and Debate Team when he was a student, acknowledged a significant improvement in the University's tournament this year. He attributed this resurgence to the phenomenal organization of the entirely student-run event -- as well as strong financial and academic support from the Annenberg School for Communications. Members of the Debate Council agreed that the monies were key to the organization's success. "Annenberg's financial backing gives us the means to compete," said College sophomore Laura Paladino, the secretary of the Debate Council.