Philadelphia Police arrested Kevin Bell, 21, of West Philadelphia early yesterday morning on four counts of robbery and for his failure to appear in court on a prior crime, University Police Commissioner John Kuprevich said last night. This is the culmination of an investigation by Southwest Detectives and University Police detectives to find the men responsible for at least three robberies near campus and for receiving stolen property. Bell has been charged with the robbery and assault of a student at 33rd Street and Smith Walk on November 8, the gunpoint robbery of a Temple University employee at 41st Street and Baltimore Avenue on November 8, and the robbery of a University student at 39th Street and Baltimore Avenue on November 9. He was identified from a photo line-up in all of these cases, and the victims plan to press charges, Kuprevich said. "This is a perfect example of where one person can make a crime wave," Kuprevich said, adding that Bell has an extensive criminal history. Bell was last charged on November 10, along with Troy Demby of West Philadelphia, for receiving stolen property. The two men were observed by plain clothes 18th District Philadelphia Police officers Francis Sheridan and Thomas Lojewski at 43rd and Pine streets in a car that was believed to have been used in previous robberies. The officers tried to stop the vehicle at about 11:25 p.m., and a chase ensued which continued to 56th and Greenway streets. The vehicle, a Geo Prism with a New York license plate, had been reported stolen by a student on November 2, Kuprevich said. Bell and Demby were issued a court date for the stolen car, but Bell failed to show up and a bench warrant for his arrest was issued. Although Demby has not been identified in any of the robberies, he is believed to have driven the car, Kuprevich said. Kuprevich added that both Bell and Demby are under investigation for other robberies in the University area. "I think from the instances we saw, there were a lot of instances around the University community," he said. "I don't think that it was solely our campus, but it was certainly near to our campus community that he was choosing." A preliminary hearing should be held for Bell within 10 days, Kuprevich said, adding that he hoped Philadelphia Police would hold him pending the trial since he has missed court dates in the past. Kuprevich said he is also grateful that all the victims were willing to press charges. "It is the only way we can effectively get these people off the streets and it is the way to send a strong message to criminals that we will not tolerate being victimized by people who chose to prey upon others," he said. "Choosing not to prosecute in cases sends the wrong message and encourages more violence and continued acts of crime against our community." Kuprevich said Victim Support and Special Services can intervene with a student's academic schedule so that he will not be penalized for taking time to go to court or to press charges. Kuprevich also said that in the past people unrelated to the incidents have gone to court to demand that judges hand down stiff sentences for criminals who have committed many crimes against people in the University community. "When you start to deal with people who are second and third time offenders in the judicial system, you hope that between the [District Attorney's] Office and the judges, it is looked at more seriously," he said. "We will try to organize and get people to attend [the trial]."