Their eyes, tearing from December winds, peered into the windows that surround McClelland Hall. Inside, University Council – a body of administrators, professors and student leaders – watched the dozens of students who had come to voice their support for student services. The rally was organized in response to rampant – and as yet unsubstantiated – rumors that the University is planning a major shakeup in the Vice Provost for University Life's office. Inside, administrators denied such intentions. The showdown wasn't exactly a revolution, and before long, the student crowd dwindled to a diehard core. But as the University's big wigs discussed the future of the VPUL and the services which it provides, it was hard for them to ignore the ruddy faces that pressed against the glass, oftentimes fogging the windows. The demonstration began 15 minutes before last week's Council meeting. Addressing the crowd from the Junior Balcony, Performing Arts Council Chairperson Bardo Ramirez challenged Interim Provost Marvin Lazerson to accept a list of student demands for increased participation in University decisions. A set of three bedsheets, neatly spray painted with green lettering and hanging from the balcony, echoed the Wharton senior's speech. "No changes to Division of University Life without student input and approval," read one banner. "No decisions made over break," said another. The last sheet dared Lazerson to make a "commitment to these demands in writing by Dec. 13." Rally organizer Mary McGuire, head of the Reach-a-Peer Line, stepped up to the balcony and lobbed a volley of rhetorical questions at Lazerson. "When was the last time you set foot in the Women's Center?" McGuire screamed to the cheers of students below her. "When was the last time you went to the Greenfield Intercultural Center, if you know where it is?" she continued. Although students cheered to a few of the speakers' statements, the rally was mostly subdued, with packs of the approximately 200 students talking amongst themselves most of the time. The largest bloc of support came from the performing arts community. Members cheered the news from inside the meeting that Lazerson supports theater space in the proposed Revlon Center with a rumble that carried through McClelland's walls. Students said they came to the Quad to let the administration know they cannot be easily manipulated. "I've used at least 10 different services that students run. How would I get half the things I get done without them?" asked College and Wharton sophomore Stephanie Kleban. College junior Aron Greenberg said he hoped the crowd would be bigger. "It would be nice if there were a few more people here," Greenberg said.