Pizza, hamburgers and even a roasted pig were grabbing the attention at fraternities across campus yesterday afternoon. As Interfraternity Council rush began, all over campus yesterday, one was bound to see packs of freshman males. Donning name tags, they could be found roaming aimlessly along Locust Walk and Walnut and Spruce streets in search of more and more free food. Engineering freshman Jason Shefrin said he had been to about six barbecues and planned to attend a few more as he munched on a slice of free pizza at Sigma Nu. "It's like Halloween," he said. "We're going to go where there is anything we can get for free." College freshman Edward Lee admitted he wasn't interested in rushing anywhere and friends brought him along. "I came basically for food," he said at Kappa Alpha Society while waiting in line for a hamburger. But, for those seeking a culinary adventure – more than just your standard barbecue fare – Phi Delta Theta was the place to be. The theme of Phi Delt's barbecue was "game roast," brother Matt Kaiser said. "We're serving pig, rabbit and chicken," the College senior said. "We had gator last year." But the brave and daring were in for a disappointment. Alligator meat was not on the menu this year. Rick Thompson, IFC executive vice president for rush, said his house, Sigma Phi Epsilon, had a tremendous turnout. And the food was definitely a factor. "We had about 350 people at one time eating dinner at our place," he said. Sig Ep offered a "Surf and Turf" meal of steak and lobster tails. Despite the abundance and variety of free food being served at the fraternities, students still came to these events with the hopes of finding the right fraternity to rush. "I am trying to make a good impression and the frats are doing that as well," said College freshman Chris Fichter as he watched a plastic cup go up in flames at Phi Delt's game roast. Bart Murphy, an Engineering freshman, said the fraternities offer a chance to have some fun while at the University. "The fraternities show you how to have a good time," he said. "I'm very interested in rushing. I'm not here just for the free food." But not everyone was pleased with the first day of rush. "It was mostly superficial," said Bill Borden, a College freshman. "You don't really get to meet people." But, regardless of their views on the Greek system, one belief was shared by the rushees. "The free food was good," Borden said.