ResNet, the system that is supposed to be the newest jewel in the Residential Living's crown, is beginning to lose its luster among many students. But, according to Penntrex, Residential Living, and Data Communication and Computing Services officials, students who are upset by fuzzy cable reception and delayed Ethernet computer connections will have to wait a little bit longer. "DCCS is still working with the installers to try to get the [cable television] system up to full speed," said Residential Living Director Gigi Simeone. "I know that there have been problems with certain channels and some problems with reception." "Its kind of been coming and going," High Rise North resident Morris Beyda said. The Wharton sophomore watched Comedy Central twice yesterday; once the reception was clear and the other time it was fuzzy. "It's essentially been like that since we got to campus," Beyda said. DCCS Director Dan Updegrove said yesterday that while his office had hoped to have the system "clean and finished" by September 1, problems with the cable vendor have caused delays. "Literally a boat sank in the Pacific with some of our equipment coming from the Far East," Updegrove said. People are working daily to fix the problems with the cable television, he said, and it is a "very high priority to get everything fixed." For DCCS, connecting University students to Ethernet – a high-speed data connection to e-mail networks – and installing the appropriate software into their computers are the most time-consuming priorities, Updegrove said. DCCS, a University department, is sending trained professionals to install the appropriate programs and to train students how to use Ethernet. This, Updegrove said, is the root of many student complaints. "Some of the complaints are from people who claim they are technically qualified and just want to run with it instead of waiting for [DCCS to install the software]," Updegrove said. In order to make repairs and adaptations easier in the future, he said, DCCS requests that they be allowed to help all students using their Ethernet connections. "The installations started at 11 a.m. [yesterday]," he said. "The process will go a whole lot faster if students make a good faith effort to be in their rooms at the appointed time [for the installation]." He added that the services provided by DCCS to students free of charge "cost a fair amount of money in the real world." Penntrex, another collaborator in the ResNet venture, is perhaps the only department getting virtually no student complaints. Penntrex Director Darien Yamin explained that his office, in conjunction with the University Office of Telecommunications and Bell of Pennsylvania, implemented a plan which expedites the process of installing private phone lines into the wired residences. "A process that we expected to be done in 15 days can now be partially in place in five," Yamin said yesterday. Yamin explained that while the other ResNet participants are establishing new programs in their offices, his is just modifying an existing service. "We have a unique advantage compared to the other two services," he said. "Most people are familiar with how a phone works but most people, even computer owners, don't know how to use a computer."