Time is running out with only nine seconds on the clock. Your team is behind 24-22 but it is on its opponent's 26-yard line and the kicking team is walking on the field. The kicker feels the pressure rising, knowing that with his single kick, he could be the saviour or goat of the game. The ball is snapped, it's kicked and the players pile on one another as the kicker watches his ball try to float 43 yards. There is a strong wind. The ball might be wide left...and it's good. Special teams – one of the most underappreciated aspects of the game is also often times one of the most important. A missed kick, a poor punt, or a fumbled kickoff or punt return can easily be the loosing factor in a game. For the Penn football team, as with any football team, special teams is key. Kickers are often the highest scorers on a team, as last year, two of the Quakers' top three scorers were its two kickers who combined for 51 points out of the team's 207-point total. However, 1993 is a new year with a different team. But as the Quakers look to improve on last year's third-place finish in the Ivy League, one thing remains the same – Penn's high expectations for its special teams. Fortunately for the Quakers, both of their placekickers, the team's top two scorers, seniors Andy Glockner and Marc Horowitz, return this year. However, Glockner and Horowitz bring a little something extra with them in 1993 – a year of playing time under their belts. "This year is the reverse of last year," Penn head coach Al Bagnoli said. "Last year we had an experienced punter and inexperienced kickers. This year, we have a less-experienced punter and more experienced kickers. This year, we don't expect to get as much out of punting, so we will expect even more out of Andy and Marc." And both Glockner and Horowitz are ready to improve on last year's statistics. This year, as well as last year, both kickers will be utilized in games depending on the lengths of the attempted field goals. Horowitz is usually sent on the field to kick field goals up to 35 yards as well as point after attempts due to his accuracy and quickness in getting the ball in the air. Last year, Horowitz converted on four of seven field goal attempts with a long of 37 yards, while hitting 18 of 20 extra points. And as Horowitz looks for even more chances this season to contribute to the team and better his numbers, he feels neither more pressure nor slighted by Bagnoli's dual kicking strategy. "Unlike some people, I am not controlled by my ego," Horowitz said."As long as I contribute to my team, I'm happy." Glockner , with a stronger leg, is used in longer field goal situations and kickoffs. He also had a commendable 1992 as he went 7 for 13 in the 40-49 yard range with a long of 49 yards. After missing two games last year with an injured leg, Glockner returns in full form and is confident that he and Horowitz can reach, if not exceed, Bagnoli's high expectations. "I can do what Marc can do, and Marc can do what I can do," Glockner said. "Every kicker has to think that they are the best in order to be a good kicker. Marc is a good high kicker and we can both do what is best for the team in [our] roles." But while the Quakers hung on to Glockner and Horowitz, they unfortunately lost another very valuable player to graduation – three-time all-Ivy punter Rob Sims. In 1992, Sims averaged 43.5 yards per punt with a long of 76 yards. The Quakers will not only miss Sims' talent, but also his experience. and leadership. Trying to fill in for Sims' absent right foot will be junior Tim Henwood. Yet, Henwood is not at all phased by having to carry the burden of being Sims' replacement. "It's not that big of a deal," Henwood said. "People don't expect me to do as well as [Sims] because he was incredible." "Andy and Marc have helped me too in getting ready for the season," Henwood added. "And our snapper [junior offensive lineman] Rob Ginsberg has also done a great job [in helping me.]" But despite his lack of experience, fellow teammates are not looking at Henwood as a liability on the field. "Tim will actually have a very good year," Horowitz said. "He will surprise a lot of people." Lastly, special teams also involves kickoff and punt returns. While the 1992 kick return leader Ako Mott graduated, taking his 28.7 yard return average with him, he will be replaced by junior running back Terrance Stokes. Stokes completed 1992 with three kick returns for 73 yards and a 24.3-yard average. Also running back kicks will be senior Brian Kozmor. Taking punts for Penn are the duo of senior wide receiver Bill Cobb and senior strong safety Jim Magallanes. Last season, Cobb led the team returning 28 punts for 132 yards and a 4.7-yard average. And while Penn's special teams players practice for the season, which starts this weekend, perhaps they will emerge from the shadows of the quarterbacks, receivers and running backs, and surprise not only their fans, but themselves.