In an attempt to combat apathy and develop political awareness at the University, about 90 students gathered at the Annenberg School to view and then debate President Clinton's health care address last night. The students watched Clinton on television address a joint session of Congress and the nation, as he called for a six-point reform of the nation's "broken health care system" with emphasis on security, simplicity, savings, quality, choice and responsibility. In the debate that followed, students directed praise and criticism at both Clinton and the Republicans, who questioned the plan after his speech. Supporters echoed the President's statement that short-term costs will yield long-term benefits for all Americans and that bold action is needed to challenge the status quo. Nursing senior Connie Ritorto, president of Student Nurses At Penn, voiced her support for Clinton. "I am happy Clinton is addressing preventive care," Ritorto said. "Preventive care will be most effective in improving the system. I also appreciate his trying to make reform universal." College senior Caleb Alexander, who said he hopes to attend medical school next fall, expressed high hopes for the future. "I'm pretty optimistic on the future of medicine," he said. "Hopefully, doctors don't enter medicine only for financial gain." The students' main concerns and skepticism about the Clinton plan were government waste and inefficiency, job losses and lack of physician choice. "It was a great rhetorical speech," said College senior Dana Lynch, who is president of College Republicans, one of the event's sponsors. "But I am concerned about choice and savings. " Many students at the debate also took a wait and see approach as few specifics were offered by Clinton and the Republicans. "I am happy to see health care come to the forefront and both parties show genuine interest," Wharton and Engineering senior Niraj Gusani said. "I hesitate to make judgment because there were few specifics." The event was co-sponsored by 11 student organizations including the John Morgan Pre-Health Society and the Undergraduate Communications Society. "I was very impressed to see people stay until 11 o'clock and debate politics," said College junior Abby Russell, president of College Democrats and moderator of the debate. "There is not as much apathy in this school as people talk about." "Abby and I were concerned with student apathy," Lynch said. "But I think this was a successful program. It was a good opportunity for bipartisan debate. They should follow our lead on Capitol Hill and break gridlock."