Hundreds of University City motorists unexpectedly received citations yesterday for doing something most of them do every day -- drive their cars. The offense was driving a gas guzzler. More than 600 gas guzzler violations were handed out by members of the Penn Environmental Group yesterday to increase awareness among those who drive fuel inefficient automobiles. Specifically targetted by the group were cars with fuel efficiency below the national average of 28 miles per gallon or cars with the lowest efficiency in their class. "It's the largest direct action against the auto industry," said Mike Isenberg, an Engineering freshman who organized the event. The ticketing campaign is part of a national grass-roots effort which will reach more than 200 cities in North America. Offenders were given a green ticket which lists the violation, the results of gas guzzling and steps which can be taken to end environmental damage. According to Isenberg, transportation accounts for one-third of the United States' greenhouse emissions. For each extra gallon of gas used by a gas guzzler, 20 extra pounds of carbon dioxide are released into the atmosphere. "I felt that it was a quite positive event overall," said Adeodato Ressi, a College junior who issued a number of tickets. Ressi said he feels the tickets will raise awareness for those buying cars in the future. "I haven't heard of any negative response," Isenberg said. "I think we were very sucessful in arranging awareness on fuel efficiency." Ressi said he felt the message was well-received, despite some motorists who denied that the gas guzzler they were driving belonged to them.