A bill to appropriate over $15 million to the Veterinary School for the current fiscal year was defeated yesterday in the State House of Representatives by a vote of 102 to 96. The bill, proposed by House Appropriations Republican Chairman Joseph Pitts (R-Talmidge), would have included funding for the University along with a $136 million supplemental appropriation request made by Gov. Robert Casey. Approximately $70 million in supplemental appropriations are left to the discretion of the legislature. The University would have received part of this sum had yesterday's bill been passed. Pitts' bill was defeated in a vote that split the House along party lines with Republicans voting for the bill and Democrats against it, House Appropriations Executive Director Michael Rosenstein said yesterday. "It was defeated in a classic example of a split-party vote," Rosenstein said. A spokesperson for State Senator Vincent Fumo (D-Phila.) said that while he does not think the University's fight for this year's state funding is over, the odds may not be good. The University is currently running a $16.5 million deficit because of the lack of this year's state funding and is planning at least an $18.5 million deficit for next year because of the absence of state appropriations. The University lost $37 million when the state legislature refused to include the University in its final fiscal year 1992-93 budget. The elimination of state money for the University followed Gov. Robert Casey's February 1992 recommendation that the University receive no state funding. This year, Casey ignored the University again in his proposed budget and in his original supplemental appropriation request for the current fiscal year. The strong party division on the issue of state funding for the University evident in yesterday's vote, as well as the House's Democratic majority, make it unlikely that funding will be restored to the University for the current fiscal year, according to some legislative experts. A similar bill passed unanimously by the State Senate in January would, if enacted, restore $36.3 million to the University for the current fiscal year. The bill, which is part of a 10-bill $70 million package, is currently awaiting action in the House, but no action has been taken or scheduled, the spokesperson for Fumo -- who sponsored the bill -- said yesterday. "The House hasn't moved [the bill] at all," Jim Hertzler said. "There are 10 bills and not one has been acted on." Hertzler said as a result of yesterday's vote, it will be more difficult to secure funding for the University. "I think it is safe to say Senator Fumo still advocates restoring [state funding to the University] to the extent possible," Hertzler said. "It remains to be seen when additional action might be taken." The University has requested over $42 million from the state for next fiscal year. The state legislature will soon begin finalizing the 1993-94 budget soon, Hertzler said. University officials have said previously that the best indicator of how the legislature would vote on next year's appropriation is the vote on the restoration of funding for this year. Paul Cribbins, director of Commonwealth relations for the University, was in Harrisburg and could not be reached for comment yesterday.