Reports of McGinn Security Services guards asleep on the job are not being taken lightly by University officials. Residential Living Director Gigi Simeone said last night that her department will fully investigate allegations made by some McGinn guards that some co-workers sleep on the job and promised to look into McGinn's supervision, training and background check procedures. And many University officials said yesterday that, like Simeone, they are taking these allegations seriously. "We are working very hard and very quickly to investigate all aspects of security life," Simeone said last night. "We are working very closely with McGinn to make sure everything is worked out." Simeone said the University is taking corrective measures such as hiring staff to conduct spot checks of campus dormitories at all hours of the night, particularly during the "graveyard" shift from midnight to 8 a.m. "Residential Living staff are in and out of the buildings all the time," she said. "We are relying on them. We need to know if they have any problems." She also said she sent out a memo to all Residential Living employees yesterday concerning security guard performance. "The safety of our residents is our foremost concern," the memo said. "If you see a security guard or marshal who is not doing his/her job properly, please report it . . . . We need everyone's eyes and ears to let us know when there are problems." Simeone has ordered signs to be placed at all guard posts reminding students and staff to report incidents of safety violations. As a final precaution, University Police are "stepping in on residences on their normal beats to make sure everything is in order and everyone is performing the way that they should be," Simeone added. Provost Michael Aiken said that before yesterday, he had been unaware of any problems with the security on campus. "I was unaware that there were these kinds of allegations," he said. "We will take them very seriously. We have been concerned with trying to maximize dorm security." Vice Provost for University Life Kim Morrisson said an investigation must follow the guards' allegations. "We need to investigate it first [before making a decision on the future of McGinn's contract]," Morrisson said. "We need to see what kind of information we find out and we need to make sure that McGinn has taken steps to address [the problems]." Morrisson would not rule out making spot checks herself in the future to observe the guards' performance. Joseph McGinn, Sr., president of McGinn Security Services, said last night he feels McGinn deserves their contract and he also promised a full investigation. McGinn added that the employees, with the exception of one who was pictured sleeping on the job in yesterday's Daily Pennslvanian, were dismissed today. The other employee was dismissed last week after McGinn was told of the incident by The Daily Pennsylvanian. "We consider this a serious infraction," McGinn said. "We are responding to it and we are dealing with the people that are doing it." McGinn maintained that the claims were being made by "disgruntled employees" and he denied the guards' allegations that McGinn does not conduct proper background checks and provides inadequate training. McGinn said he believes that his contract with the University should continue. "Based on our record and based on the many hours that we perform, yes, I do think we deserve it," McGinn said. "We worked hard at this job. We grew at this job and we are meeting the requirements that are established." Adelaide Delluva, chairperson of University Council's Safety and Security Committee, said questions about the security guards have come up several times before. "We'll have to see what we can do," said Delluva, an emeritus professor of veterinary biochemistry. "It will be discussed. No doubt about it." Committee member Helen Davies added that the committee is meeting Wednesday night. "I've never seen a report like this and I've been on [the committee] for many years," said Davies, a microbiology professor. "I shall listen with a great deal of interest." University Police Commissioner John Kuprevich said that he met with Simeone yesterday and that they discussed the DP article and issues of security on campus. "This will raise the question of levels of service," Kuprevich siad. "It begs the question. We'll look at all of the options and all of the alternatives. Changing service doesn't guarantee you that you will get something better." "I've voiced my concern to [Simeone] about the concerns that it raises," he said. "She'll look at the concerns, she'll look at the issues, and she'll look at the vendor." Kuprevich said the University is not interested in spending money if the environment is unsafe. "This is awareness raising," Kuprevich said. "These issues are going to be addressed."