Patrons at local bars may soon be able to order condoms with their pitchers of Rolling Rock and shots of tequila. If an amendment to the Philadelphia health code becomes law, city bars and restaurants licensed to sell alcohol will also be required to sell condoms. The proposed amendment states that "premises licensed for retail sale of alcoholic beverages" must "make latex condoms available for retail sale on their premises." The ordinance, introduced by City Council Member Thacher Longstreth in October, is supported by the mayor's office and City Council and is expected to become law, according to John Weinstein, a Longstreth aide who worked on the ordinance. City Council could vote on the proposal in as few as two weeks, and, if passed, the amendment may become law 90 days later. Philadelphia would become only the second major city after Atlanta to pass such a law, Weinstein said. Weinstein said the law would help fight the spread of AIDS and send a message of responsibility to the public. "Longstreth's son was doing research on the topic in Seattle, and we thought it would be a good idea to introduce it in Philadelphia," said Weinstein. But several local bar owners disagreed with the "good idea" notion. "It's absolute silliness," said Paul Ryan, owner of Smokey Joe's. "It's another example of lawmakers making more laws to justify their jobs." Ryan added that if the ordinance became law he would comply with it, but said that he did not think people necessarily came to bars such as his to "hook up". "Perhaps that's the way it is in certain bars, but not at Smokey Joe's," he said. "People come here to socialize and have a good time." Roger Harman, co-owner of the Palladium, said that while drinking might contribute to casual sex, he would hope that people would be sexually educated enough to behave safely. In any case, Harman said that he does not welcome government intervention in such matters. "I'm pretty much an anarchist/libertarian myself," he said. "It seems they're legislating just about everything these days." College junior Jennifer Dozio, a member of Facilitating Learning About Sexual Health, said she thinks the ordinance is a good idea. "Because alcohol lowers inhibitions and bars are places where people traditionally meet potential partners, it's a good idea to remind them that it isn't safe out there," she said. "If they are going to engage in sexual behavior, they should protect themselves." Wharton junior Emil Woods agreed. "It's a public service," he said. "It's promoting safer sex."