University dormitories may soon be equipped with communication lines to handle cable television, a computing network and voice services, Associate Vice Provost for University Life Larry Moneta said yesterday. But Moneta added that any such plans would be contingent upon "financial negotiations" that have not yet been concluded. "If the finances work out," Moneta said, "the intention is to put cable [TV], voice and data in 20 percent of the rooms over the summer." To test the feasibility of installation, Moneta said he hoped a few rooms in each dormitory will be fitted with the new apparatus by the beginning of the 1993-1994 school year. Moneta said he does not know how much the installation would cost, and he does not know if students would have to pay for the service. But the price tag for the venture could be as much as $5 million, according to a June 1992 report on the future of residential living. Despite the cost, Moneta said he is "optimistic" about the chances of equipping the University, citing the "variety of educational, recreational and communication opportunities" it would bring the University. "You can't be a contemporary campus without information distribution," Moneta said. The report on residential living, prepared by Vice Provost for University Life Kim Morrisson, calls the idea "an investment in technology that will be necessary if Penn is to remain competitive in this decade." Across campus, students expressed excitement over the possible technological changes, especially the prospects for cable TV. "That would be great," College sophomore Vanessa Ramirez said. "If I had cable TV I would watch my favorite shows." "Everyone on my floor really wants it because the reception is terrible," Nursing freshman Sally Fry said. She added that she would probably watch movies and sports if she had cable. One student, however, said the addition of cable TV would be an unneeded distraction. "There is work to be done here," said Engineering freshman Ezekiel Fink. "There is enough goofing off here already." But Fink said that he would welcome a computing network, especially if nationwide electronic mail was free. "I think that e-mail would cut down on phone bills to other campuses," Fink said. Moneta acknowledged that the technology would be a draw for students to stay on-campus for housing. "Obviously we're very sensitive to keeping people on campus," Moneta said.