The State Senate unanimously passed a bill yesterday that would give $36.3 million in state funding to the University. The bill, sponsored by State Sen. Vincent Fumo (D-Phila.), would restore vital funding to the Veterinary School and provide the University with most of the state money requested for the current fiscal year. Acting Executive Vice President John Gould said yesterday he was surprised that the bill passed by such a wide margin. "We are very pleased with the vote in the senate," Gould said. "We are glad that there is so much support for the University . . . and instituions of higher education and learning throughout the Commonwealth." Before the University receives any state funding, the State House of Representatives must pass the bill and it must gain the approval of Gov. Robert Casey. One local representative, Vincent Hughes (D-Phila.), said he does not think the issue could reach a vote in the House until March. He added that he and many other representatives are opposed to the measure. "It all boils down to one question: where is the money coming from?" Hughes said. "At this point, I'm not in a position to support that level of funding for private institutions." Paul Dluglecki, executive director of the Senate Appropriations Committee, said yesterday that while Fumo is "delighted" with the bill's passage, it is too early to speculate on the bill's ultimate chances. Dluglecki and several University officials said that the House's lack of organization will delay any action on the bill. "[The House doesn't] even have an appropriations committee yet," Dluglecki said. "They also haven't established any rules for procedure and we are waiting with baded breath for them to do so." Before it comes to a vote in the House, the bill must clear the House Appropriations Committee, which is chaired by Rep. Dwight Evans (D-Phila.). Last spring, Evans was part of a delegation of Philadelphia state representatives that threatened to block any state funding for the University until the University agreed to award more Mayor's Scholarships to Philadelphia high school students. Gould said that there is no connection between the state funding issue and the Mayor's Scholarship dispute. "Our understanding is that there is no linkage," he said. "We hope that all House members will look at [the bill] on its own merits and not link it to any other non-related issue." Evans is currently considering the bill, Fumo officials said earlier this week. The bill is part of an 11-bill, $73.5 million package for higher education. Under the Fumo bill, the money would come from approximately $200 million in unappropriated state revenue. The $36.3 million represents 96.5 percent of $37.6 million the University received in fiscal year 1991-1992. Last year, the University requested $41.2 million from the state. After Casey recommended that the state legislature give no funding to private higher education, the lawmakers gave the University no money in the budget. The University has requested a full restoration of funding for the current fiscal year and an approximately six percent increase in funding for the 1993-94 fiscal year. Casey will give his budget address on February 9, but it is unclear what he will say about money for private higher education, University officials said earlier this week. Neither Casey or Evans could be reached for comment yesterday.