and STEPHANIE DESMON College junior Jack McSorley, vice president of the Theta Xi fraternity and a two-year member of the men's heavyweight crew team, died yesterday after collapsing during a morning jog with his father. The cause of McSorley's death was not known last night, but friends said he had appeared to be in good health. Although 20-year-old McSorley's role as a coxswain for the crew team was that of in-the-boat coach, he also took part in the team's rigorous practices. "Jack was always working out with the crew," said Chris Pedicone, a fellow crew member and Theta Xi brother. "He'd work out with us just to show that he knew what we were going through. That made him a better coxswain." Shocked and saddened friends, joined by McSorley's parents and University officials, packed the Theta Xi fraternity house on Locust Walk last night to discuss what had happened. Throughout much of the evening, fraternity members and other friends sat outside the house, being comforted by passersby on the Walk. Some cried and some gathered in small groups, talking softly to each other. "I think it's such a tragedy," College junior Sean Gallagher, a fellow member of the crew team, said last night. "Everyone on the team is in a complete state of shock." Those who knew McSorley well remembered him for his sense of humor and outgoing personality. They also called him a "real leader" and a "great motivator." "Workouts are pretty tough so he would keep us going," Gallagher said. But, friends said, there were also times when McSorley displayed a quieter, more thoughtful side. "If you had a problem, you could always talk to Jack about it," Pedicone said. "If you were down in the dumps he was always there to help you." Assistant to the President Nicholas Constan described McSorley, a political science major, as an "extremely good-humored kid." "It's rare that anybody is that universally well-liked," Constan said last night. Pedicone agreed, saying McSorley was "known everywhere." University Life officials said no official arrangements had been made to provide transportation to the funeral, which will be held Friday in McSorley's hometown of Grosse Pointe, Mich., a Detroit suburb. But Pedicone said that a group of McSorley's friends, including the entire crew team and fraternity, will make the trip. A memorial service will be held on campus sometime in the next few weeks, officials said.