While many freshman were frantically carting all their worldly possessions into the dormitories, nearly 50 of their classmates were backpacking through the Kittatinny Mountains with only the barest of essentials. Joined by 20 juniors and seniors, the students were the first class of the newly created PennQuest -- a pre-orientation program organized by the Trustees' Council of Penn Women. The Trustees' Council sought a "camp experience" for incoming freshmen, according to Terri White, director of Student Life Programs. "We researched other schools with similar programs and the Outward Bound Program and modified [those programs] to fit our students and the goals of our orientation," White said. The students moved into their dormitories early and bussed to the Pocono Environment Education Center last week. At PEEC, the participants learned camping skills while participating in challenge exercises. The training was highlighted by a nightime astronomy hike. The following day the groups began a two-day hike on the Appalachian Trail and returned to the University Friday. White described PennQuest as a chance for freshmen to meet classmates before New Student Orientation and to learn about themselves. "It [has given] them a network of support outside their floor and classes," she said. "They came back stronger and more determined to meet the challenges of the college experience. They've also come back with a better appreciation of the environment." Junior and seniors who worked with White's office last year served as teamleaders supervising five units of ten freshmen. "The trip was very successful in terms of freshmen getting to know each other and to know upperclassmen they can ask for advice," said teamleader Lauren Sternfield, a College junior. "I wish I'd had this as a freshman." White said that the team leaders were recruited through University-wide advertisements. The teamleaders were trained in leadership and outdoor camping skills, C.P.R. and First Aid. "I found myself volunteering a lot more time than I thought I would be, but we were all extremely committed," Sternfield said. "It's very hard to break new ground at Penn." Engineering freshman, Jennifer Casher said she enjoyed PennQuest so much that she hopes to be able to lead a group herself next year. "You're so lost when you get [to the University]," she said. "It's nice to know people beforehand so you aren't as overwhelmed." At other Ivy League schools, the entire freshman class participates in similar programs, but White said she does not anticipate PennQuest to grow that large. "Because of our location, we probably won't be able to make an increase of that size," she said. Out of the approximately 300 freshmen that applied, there was only room on the trip for fifty. Fifty students were chosen based on their responses to short essay questions on the application. The cost for each participant was $100. But the Trustees' Council gave substantial financial support enabling the team leaders and needy students to participate for free, White said.