The University is planning to launch a national search for a permanent Judicial Inquiry Officer next month, two months after deciding not to hire any of the finalists from a previous search, a University offical said yesterday. Associate Vice Provost for Student Life Larry Moneta said the search for a new JIO would be aimed at academic circles and would begin in middle or late October, "so it hits campuses at a point when people reach some level of daily ritual." Moneta also said he is still trying to find an interim JIO to manage the office, which investigates and prosecutes cases ranging from cheating by students to complaints about fraternities and sororities. He said the search committee involved in the first search for a permanent JIO would probably be used this time as well, with Assistant Vice Provost Barbara Cassel acting again as its chairperson. But unlike last time, Moneta said, the committee will look for candidates all over the country, advertising in national journals such as The Chronicle of Higher Education for maximum exposure. In July, Moneta decided to pass on all three finalists from a local search conducted to fill the vacancy left by former JIO Constance Goodman, who stepped down in the summer of 1991 to become the University's associate secretary. Moneta blamed the poor quality of candidates on the local nature of the search. Of the 250 applicants for the job, he said, many were lawyers with little judicial experience in a higher education setting. Because the new search may take most of the academic year, Moneta is trying to find someone at the University to act as interim JIO. Jane Combrinck-Graham, associate director of risk management, served as interim JIO until last spring. Moneta said although there were "many people who have had an active interest" in serving as interim JIO, schedule conflicts and other reasons have prevented them from taking the job. The interim position, which Moneta originally hoped to fill by the end of the summer, should be taken "by the end of the month," he said. Until then, Moneta said he and Assistant JIO Robin Read will be jointly handling the responsibilities of the office.