In his latest column, the infamous Bill Madison has managed to create misperceptions about the Spring Fling Concert and the Social Planning and Events Committee (DP 3/24/92). His inaccuracies are many. First, he asserts that the Indigo Girls only appeal "to a very small percentage of students here." He fails to note that last year's Spring Fling concert was the most heavily attended paid event in the history of SPEC. Over 6,000 students braved cold weather to see the Grammy Award-winning band perform. Second, Madison fails to acknowledge that SPEC has brought many eclectic concert acts to Penn, including those he mentioned in the article. Others include Ellis and Branford Marsalis; a tribute to Bob Marley including Rita Marley, the Wailers and other reggae artists; and free Superblock concerts including School of Fish, Smokestack Lightning and DeeTrip. Once again this spring, SPEC will be hosting free outdoor shows in Superblock, including the Judybats and Paleface. Madison claims that SPEC has been "alienating the disparate tastes of blacks, whites, Hispanics, Asians, men and women . . . " I can attest to the committees' strong devotion to providing events that are culturally diverse and appeal to different tastes. SPEC is open to all members of the undergraduate community, and the 14 committees will accept new members at any time. In addition, our Minority Concerns Committee holds weekly forums to address diversity within SPEC. The three SPEC Spring Fling chairpersons and the four SPEC Concert chairpersons jointly felt that Blues Traveler would appeal to many students, while still making sense fiscally. The choice of the Fling band was never meant to coincide with the Mardi Gras theme. I can personally attest to the incredible amount of positive feedback I have received for our choice of Blues Traveler. In addition, our ticket sales have been brisk and have exceeded our expectations. For the opening band, we looked for something that would complement Blues Traveler, and focused our energies on securing one of two popular rap acts. After much anticipation, SPEC has obtained Leaders of the New School as the co-headlining act. The choice of a rap band should not be seen as a "token" gesture or a reaction to pressure by outside forces. Since the beginning of this semester, the committees have take an active stance in trying to find something that supplements Blues Traveler. I sincerely hope that the triple bill of Blues Traveler, Leaders of the New School and Kindred Spirit can accommodate as many musical tastes as possible. If our goals are realized, over 8,000 Penn students and their guests will be able to come together, put aside their differences and celebrate a spectacular evening of music. STEPHEN FOECKING SPEC Concerts Chairperson Wharton '93