The University has turned over the investigation of a string of fires in Hill House last week to the Philadelphia Fire Marshall's office. The University's Department of Fire and Occupational Safety noticed during a routine check that the three fires, one of which burned early last Thursday morning and two of which occurred early Saturday morning, formed a pattern which officials found "suspicious." "All three [fires] take place at very odd times," James Miller, director of fire and occupational safety, said yesterday. "You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see we have a problem." And Hill House Master Robert Lucid said last night he is concerned about the recent string of fires. "[There is] some evidence that there has been one or more instances of deliberate fire-setting," Lucid said. "We are concerned about what we perceive to be the pattern and we're trying to get to the bottom of it." Lieutenant Joseph Lynch of the Fire Marshall's office said yesterday the investigation is only in its "preliminary stages," and officials said it is too early to tell if students are responsible for the fires. "We don't have a prime suspect," Miller said. Officials added they do not know how long the investigation will last. Miller, who said the fires were "of malicious intent," said any investigation like this one includes interviewing the people who witnessed the fires, those who reported them and even those involved with putting them out. Miller added that his primary goal is to stop the recurring fires before they cause any serious damage. Hill House personnel are "in high gear," watching out for another fire that could fit the pattern. "Our main concern is stopping it," Miller said. "This is the type of prank that kills people." University Police said earlier this week that the fires caused little damage to the Walnut Street dormitory. In the first fire, which occurred at 3:15 a.m. last Thursday morning, a pile of clothes on top of a washing machine caught fire. In the second fire, an unknown person or persons detonated a smoke bomb in a fifth floor lounge on the southeast corner of the building at 3:14 a.m. Saturday. The third fire broke out at 6:34 a.m. Saturday when a student using a stove on the second floor allowed a cloth to become ignited by the burners underneath it.