Could mean end of Latino Studies minor Assistant History Professor Dain Borges recently was denied tenure by a School of Arts and Sciences faculty personnel committee, a move which some say may jeopardize the future of the University's Latin American Studies program. "If I'm not replaced, there will probably be a net loss in the number of courses offered on Latin American history, and also in Latin American studies," Borges said last week. In response to student requests for a Latin American Studies program over two years, SAS faculty approved a new Latin American Studies minor in December 1991. However, Assistant Dean of Hispanic Concerns Olga Rubio said the decision to deny Borges tenure "puts a damper" on the new program, citing Borges' extensive work in Latin American history and family studies. "I think, given his scholarly work, we just expected him to be tenured . . . this is a source of great concern," Rubio said. Of additional concern to supporters of the Latin American Studies program is the current hiring freeze in the College, which may prohibit a search to replace Borges. "The freeze does relate to appointments," Dean of School of Arts and Sciences Rosemary Stevens said yesterday. "We've already made a decision for hirings for next year, and those will stand irrespective of tenure decisions made this year." The tenuring process at the University is the process established by the American Association of University Professors. The AAUP states that all tenure-tracked assistant professors must apply for tenure by the end of the sixth year at their respective institutions. No assistant professor can remain employed at the University past a seventh year if not accepted for tenure by that point. Borges, as a seventh year assistant professor, was turned down for tenure last year. His case was brought before the College's Personnel Committee this year upon the recommendation of the history department. The Personnel Committee, which is nominated by the faculty Committee on Committees consists of 19 members, who are elected at faculty meetings. Members are elected for two-year terms, and the committee is comprised of faculty from all areas of SAS. Biology Professor Bill Tefler, who is the current head of the Personnel Committee, said yesterday that while respective departments often do not recommend professors for tenure, Personnel Committee members usually recommend tenure for the candidates they do review. "It's probably well over 75 percent of cases that reach the Personnel Committee that are recommended for tenure," Tefler estimated. Tefler, Dean Stevens, and History Department Chairperson Michael Katz emphasized the confidential nature of specific tenure cases, declining to give specific comments on the reasons behind Borges' tenure denial. "I was turned down for tenure at the Personnel Committee level," Borges said. Rubio said that the decision not to give Borges tenure was an unfortunate one because he is considered a role model for Latino students at the University. She added that not giving Borges tenure casts doubt on the University's efforts toward diversifying curriculum. "The University has made a committment to internationalization and diversification and, somehow, [Borges] not getting tenure makes one wonder about what their agenda actually is," Rubio said. "Latin American history is a long and rich one which must be taken seriously by the University," she added.