Faculty and students reacted with dismay to Assistant History Professor Dain Borges' tenure denial, saying the refusal makes the future of the Latin American Studies program tenuous. Borges, while recommended for tenure by the History department, was recently turned down for tenure at the level of a School of Arts and Sciences personnel committee. "I think it's a tragedy for the department . . . he's the smartest young Latin American professor there is, and it's just a grotesque mistake of the personnel committee, and a slap in the face to the Latin American Studies program here," History Professor Michael Zuckerman said yesterday. Romance Languages Professor Jose Miguel Oviedo said Borges' denial would be a loss to the University. "I think that we are losing a valuable young professor and scholar," Oviedo said. Romance Languages Associate Chairperson Peter Earle said that Borges' extensive work in organizing colloquia on Latin American topics of many disciplines, as well as his assistance in organizing the University's Latin American Cultures program, proved his qualifications as a scholar. Earle added that the lack of Latin American faculty and courses throughout the University calls into question the University's commitment to Latin American studies. "It seems very contradictory at a time when the importance of strengthening the Latin American program is being discussed, not to have people representing those fields," Earle said. Earle also said that the current hiring freeze in the School of Arts and Sciences could jeopardize the University's ability to find someone to replace Borges. Pamela Urueta, president of the Asociacion Cultural de Estudiantes Latino Americanos, said she is disappointed that Borges has been denied tenure. "I am very disappointed that he was not given a positive recommendation from the personnel committee," Urueta said. "I think that was a big oversight on their part." Urueta said that without Borges, completing a Latin American Studies minor will be "very difficult." "This is symbolic of what Latin American Studies means to the school, or what it doesn't mean to the school," Urueta said. "That's really frustrating because the history of Latin America and its people is important to everybody in the United States, not just Latinos."