Happy Fernandez and Thacher Longstreth epitomize Philadelphia City Council. She's a first-term Democratic councilwoman, he's a fourth-term Republican. But despite all their differences, and the differences in Council that they represent, they must work together to pull the city back from the brink of bankruptcy. · The Philadelphia City Council members, who were elected in November and began their terms of office earlier this month, said they are ready to get to work on restoring the hope and the future of the city, with the help of a new mayor and an energetic Council president. "I intend to really do the very best job I can," first-term Councilwoman-at-large Fernandez said. Fernandez is one of the seven new kids on Council. She is an energetic woman who wears tailored suits and a vibrant smile. Her office is crowded with staff members, but Fernandez has already proven herself to be a diligent member of Council willing to go the extra mile. Fernandez, who moved into her office only two weeks ago, said the problems she has encountered as a new councilwoman have been minimal and often absurd. "Some staff members didn't have chairs, and had to sit on trash cans," Fernandez said laughing. But she also said she "doesn't expect things to happen overnight," and emphasized that she is not a "novice" about how things get accomplished just because she is new as a councilwoman. And first-time members of City Council are not the only ones excited about the new term. Even when other jobs would have become old hat, veteran members manage to keep their enthusiasm high. "I think we can reduce the financial problems and stand-off the unions, and see Philadelphia start to move back up again," said Councilman-at-large Longstreth, who is beginning his fourth term. · All 17 Council members are elected together, every four years. The members are divided into two groups, district Council members and at-large Council members. Each district Council member represents one of the ten districts in Philadelphia. Usually, district Council members are more loyal to their individual districts and constituencies. However, the seven at-large members represent the entire city and, theoretically, are not tied to geographic special-interests. District Council members also receive more complaints and respond to constituents more than at-large members do. Frequently, citizens call to complain about issues like a broken street light or trash collection. Currently, there are 14 Democratic and three Republican members of Council. For the past 40 years, according to Longstreth, the City Council and mayor's office have been dominated by Democrats. "In 1952, the Democrats won their first mayoral elections in 80 years and haven't lost since," Longstreth said. Each party nominates five candidates for at-large Council positions, and the seven who receive the most votes become Council members. Longstreth said the first five members chosen are always Democrats, and he is only elected because he is at the top of the Republican ticket. "Big cities don't operate the same as state and national government," Longstreth said. "One party gains control and uses a one-party system." Longstreth also said being an incumbent is an advantage because of name recognition, the ability to raise money and knowledge of the system. · The focal point of Council members' jobs is the weekly Council meeting, which is held every Thursday morning at 10 a.m. Last Thursday marked the first meeting of the new Council. Bills and resolutions, which are introduced and voted on, make up the bulk of Council meetings. Bills and resolutions amending old laws are usually introduced by committees, and, according to Longstreth, about half of the important bills are initiated in the mayor's office. But, many bills concern small issues such as changing street signs, and are passed easily. According to Longstreth, some committees are more important than others, and Council members on the important committees exercise more power. The more important committees include appropriations, rules and finance, the three of which Longstreth would like to be a member. New committees for the present term will be selected this week. The City Council president, Democrat John Street, decides who will be members of which committees. Once committees are selected, their meetings become a major part of Council members schedules. Each bill must also have a public hearing separate from Council meetings. And once a bill has gone through the standard procedure, Council votes on it. But Longstreth said that a piece of legislation is rarely voted on by Council unless it is sure to pass. ' But Council members' agendas are filled with much more than committee and weekly Council meetings. Working 70 to 80 hours a week, Fernandez said she meets with civic groups, neighborhood groups, small businesses and a range of organizations because she wants to stay in touch with the issues in the city. "I want to not only react, but I want to have a proactive agenda," Fernandez said. Fernandez, who taught at Temple University for 18 years and was Director of the Child Care and Family Policy Institute, said one of her first goals is to work with existing coalitions to have after-school day care in public schools. She added that much of her time is filled with meetings with individuals and phone conversations. Even some of her lunches are filled with meetings. But when she does not have a meeting, she grabs a bite to eat and reads material in her office. She also takes time at night to read reports and get the facts on important pending legislation. "It is awesome, so many issues come before Council," Fernandez said. Fernandez also said she has found being a Councilwoman to be a seven-day-a-week job. Although her work is time-consuming, she said she wants to remain involved politically "to help to get good people elected." And although the election is over, Fernandez said she wants to use the talents of those who helped her get elected. "I intend to tap the expertise of people who worked on my campaign," Fernandez said. "It is too much to do alone." She expects 300 to 400 people who worked on her campaign to lend their skills to her work in political office. In contrast to Fernandez, Longstreth's said only about half of his time is consumed on Council work. "I spend about half my time on Council, about 30 hours, and half my time on business," Longstreth said. The 71-year-old Councilman was the president of the Chamber of Commerce for 20 years and is currently on the boards of many businesses. "I love Council work because it permits having other activities," Longstreth said. But like Fernandez, Longstreth's days are long, and leave little time for social life. "There is not much social life," Longstreth said. "I don't need it because I am having too much fun." Longstreth also speaks at different events almost every night. In one year, he delivers between 200 and 300 speeches. The money he receives for the engagements goes to the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, which he is chairman and founder. Fernandez admits that being a Councilwoman can take its toll on family and social life, but she makes an effort to balance her life. After waking up between 5:30 and 6 each morning, she plays tennis. Two mornings a week she meets her husband of 30 years for a match so they can spend time together. And although Fernandez usually leaves City Hall around 6 p.m., her nights are scheduled with Council activities and special functions. "You do have to work at balancing your public and private life," Fernandez said. "We [my husband and I] have family vacations and weekends, we found a balance."