One of the most disappointing "disappearances" of the month occurred when Paul Ryan, the owner of Smokey Joe's Tavern was not granted a renewed liq - uor license. Smokes, a "Pennstitution" since 1933, must appeal the non-renewal to the state Liquor Con - trol Board. A $200,000 crystal ball, stolen three years ago from the University Museum, "re-appeared" after the Fed - eral Bureau of Investigation recovered it from an anti - que store. The man in charge of the store said that he bought the ball for $30 from a "trash-picker." Psi Upsilon fraternity lost its appeal in the state Supreme Court in October, making its reappearance on campus unlikely until the University re-recognizes the fraternity. Students were forced to "disappear" rapidly from their rooms in the unrenovated dorms in the Quadran - gle in October. A damaged sprinkler system caused thousands of dollars of damage in the dormitory and forced students to find alternative places to sleep until the flood was under control. A class action suit against the University "appeared" in October, accusing the University of not providing enough Mayor's Scholarships for needy Philadelphia high schoolers. A Philadelphia public-interest group alleged that the University has failed to provide the the prescribed number of scholarships. Over 3000 University students were threatened with the "disappearance" of their rights to use PARIS. Students were included on this list if they failed to declare their major, turn in their health insurance forms or provide a record of their immunizations. Vice President Dan Quayle's son, Tucker Quayle, "appeared" on campus in October for a tour of the University. While his father stayed home, Tucker and two other men toured the campus with Kite and Key President Barbi Lewis. University Police Officer Kim Wong "disappeared" from the University after she pleaded guilty to charges of aggravated assault and was convicted of stabbing a woman. She resigned after being demoted to civilian dispatcher early in the month. -- Sharon Molinoff