What began as an informative lecture by South African Ambassador to the U.S. Harry Schwarz turned into a heated debate between him and audience members yesterday afternoon in the University Museum's Rainey Auditorium. For nearly two hours, Schwarz spoke about the problems in South Africa and the steps the government has taken to resolve them. He discussed topics ranging from trade unions' complaints of the government's unfair taxing to political prisoners in the country. But during the question and answer period, several audience members chastised Schwarz for misrepresenting the situation. Schwarz began his speech by addressing the country's problems such as Apartheid and violence. "The system of Apartheid creates deprivation and oppression, and is an obvious cause of violence," Schwarz said. Schwarz said the violence also stems from the high unemployment rate, ethnic conflicts, and the desire of some to derail negotiations between the African National Congress and the government. Schwarz then said the two biggest issues facing South Africa today are the state of negotiations between the ANC and the government, and the way in which the country's new constitution will be written. Schwarz also discussed some of the measures the government has taken to remedy them. "A peace conference was held to stop violence," he said. He added that the government, in conjunction with the ANC, is setting an agenda for a multiparty conference or forum to decide what kind of constitution South Africa will have. "Once negotiations begin and people realize they are a part of a franchise, the issue of violence will decrease," Schwarz said. Following his speech, Schwarz opened the floor to questions when heated discourse began. Audience members challenged Schwarz's assertions of the government's goals and called him a liar. And after a South African student stood up and said the government twice denied him entry back into his homeland, audience members broke out into angry exchanges amongst themselves, with some supporting Schwarz. After the speech, some of the 40 audience members said they were still optimistic about South Africa's future. "While I believe Mr. Schwarz knows change is inevitable in South Africa, I hope the new government is able to accomplish many of the things we have not been able to accomplish here in America," said College senior Malaika Smith. College junior Elizabeth Diener said that based on her experiences in South Africa, Schwarz seemed to be sincere. "I've lived in South Africa as an exchange student," she said. "Believe me, he's one of the good guys as compared to the ones I've seen." Yet several people said they were still concerned about people's perceptions of the government. "I don't want people to walk away thinking South Africa is a good place to live," said Wharton junior Martin Dias. "He's a politician and he's supposed to make his country look good."