Edward Rendell may be poised to take City Hall, but that won't rule out Friday nights at the Palestra. As a University alumnus, Rendell has maintained ties to the University community which helped him throughout his campaign. And in his new role as mayor, the relationship could take on increased importance. Rendell clearly drew upon his University connections in assembling his campaign staff -- from supervisors to volunteers, alumni pervaded his ranks. Steve Caplan, Rendell's field director, recognized the importance of these relations. Fellow Rendell staffer and 1983 Wharton graduate Josh Trimes agreed, saying that University alumni have been heavily involved throughout the campaign and will most likely continue to play a large role in Rendell's administration. Most alumni supporters at Rendell's celebration last night felt that while the University itself would not necessarily be a focal point of Rendell's goals, it would serve him well as a foundation upon which to build. "Rendell will most probably use [the University] as a resource to promote the city, since he has the association," said Rendell supporter and 1965 College alum Ogden Kniffin. Rendell's campaign utilized more University alumni than current University students. According to Greg Rost, both a Rendell supporter and an affiliate of the University's Fels Center of Government, there was not a great amount of undergraduate involvement in Rendell's campaign. Rost added, however, that "a fair number of professors and administrators" were active in the campaign. The disturbing current trend of student apathy, however, was viewed with an optimistic eye by those involved with the campaign. "A lot of things are happening nationwide, and students are gradually getting back into the political process," Caplan said. "People are looking for a change -- Wofford is evidence of that -- and University students will be a big part in that change as they start to realize the importance of local politics." Rendell Campaign Issues Director and 1986 College alum Joe Torcella said that Rendell's victory marked a new era in Philadelphia government. "He's taking the reins immediately and hitting the ground running with no learning time," Torcella said. As several Rendell supporters observed, Philadelphia's relationship with the University will become an important factor in future policy-making. "The [University-Philadelphia] relationship will have to be significant, since the University of Pennsylvania is one of the city's largest employers," said Rendell supporter Ted Proudford. Tom Leonard, another supporter, described Rendell as "another example of the University of Pennsylvania's many contributions to the city." "He came from New York to the University, stayed here, and now the city is all the better for it," Leonard said.