A terrible thing to lose one's mind, how true that is. So spoke Vice President Dan Quayle, and taking the mangled phrase to heart, he apparently has passed the words of wisdom on to his son. But hopefully Tucker Quayle's grades are better than his father's. Tucker Quayle, teenage son of the vice president, took a private tour of the University yesterday, visiting such picturesque scenes as Franklin Field and Irvine Auditorium. Starting yesterday at noon, Barbara Lewis, president of the Kite and Key Society, took Quayle the younger and two other men on a low profile visit. Despite the national importance of Quayle the senior, College senior Lewis said that there were no secret service men to escort Tucker, and that the other two people in the group were a prospective applicant and his alumni parent. During the visit, Quayle declined to answer any questions about his intentions to apply to the University or where his parents were, saying only, "This is a private tour." Lewis, his guide, was less than pleased at the prospect of an interview during Quayle's tour, describing any queries as "inappropriate." Later, however, Lewis said that Quayle was basically similar to most other college applicants, and that in fact, he knew more about the University than most who take the tour. "Tucker asked a lot of intelligent questions," said Lewis. "It is unusual [for students] to be familiar with the programs [at the University]." Lewis added that she did not know if Quayle would apply to the school and said that he was applying to other colleges. The curious group followed a tried and true route for prospective admittees, starting at Houston Hall, strolling past Irvine Auditorium, and later entering the renovated Furness Building, which is now a staple of campus tours. Then Quayle, dressed in tan chinos, docksiders, and a grey checked sweater, and sporting his father's familiar sandy-brown hair, followed his guide down Smith Walk, into Franklin Field. During his hour-long visit to campus, the private group then sauntered over to Bennett Hall, and stopped for a bite to eat at the Food Court. They enjoyed a meal from Bassett's Original Turkey.