Fredrick Dettman couldn't believe it when told that Norma Lang was leaving Wisconsin for the University. Especially since several other colleges had already tried to lure her away. "Oh that rat, she took it," exclaimed Dettman, a Milwaukee doctor who works with Lang through American Medical Peer Review Association. Several of Lang's peers said she will be sorely missed by the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee, where she has been a fixture for 26 years, when in March she becomes the fourth dean of the Nursing School. Lang, who is recognized nationwide in the nursing community for trying to improve the quality of nursing care, said yesterday that although several other universities with strong nursing schools had recruited her in the past, she had declined their offers. She initially declined the University's offer as well. "I said no several times," Lang said yesterday. "I wasn't looking for the position, I wasn't thinking about making a change." Lang changed her mind because of the University's reputation. "It's an Ivy League campus, and the only one that has an undergraduate program in nursing," Lang said. "I wouldn't have gone if it weren't a top school." She also said her children are now both in college and the move to Philadelphia will not disrupt their education. Lang began as a professor and was appointed dean of UWM's nursing school in 1980. As dean of UWM nursing, Lang helped develop a doctoral program and a program for college graduates who want to earn an additional bachelor's degree in nursing. "She's enthusiastic. She likes to facilitate and help faculty develop," said Mary Mundt, chairman of the Health Maintenance Department at UWM. "She cares a lot about students." Lang continued teaching and conducting research as dean. Her course on the quality of health care attracts not only nursing students, but students of business and other disciplines also. She teaches it at both the graduate and undergraduate level. She has also taught courses in public policy and trends in nursing. Once Lang is settled in at the University she hopes to teach classes here. "I think I will need a little time getting to know my way around," Lang said. "One of the things I clearly will do is lecture in other people's classes. I'd really like to meet the students." Lang's research concentrates on evaluating the quality of health care. Her quality assurance model, which was published by the American Nursing Association, is used internationally. Karin Marek, a doctoral candidate who has been a teaching assistant in Lang's class and has done research with her, said she will miss her mentor a great deal. "I'm very sad to see her leave, as are many of the students," Marek said. "There's going to be a large void in the school. I think Norma will fit in very well. Norma used [University Nursing Dean] Claire Fagin's articles frequently." Throughout Lang's career, she has been involved in national nursing issues and worked with a number of committees. In 1980, she developed a social policy statement on nursing. Lang is also concerned with helping the nursing profession earn more respect. She is the only nurse on the American Medical Peer Review Association's board of directors. Andy Webber, the group's executive vice president, said Lang is currently serving her second term. "I think Norma's a person that's always looking for new challenges," said Webber. "She's a very energetic woman with much conviction who cares deeply about the quality of care issue. She is politically connected as well. I am very honored to have her on our board." Dettman, who serves on the board with Lang, remembers meeting her on an airplane. "We were flying to D.C. She was sitting across the aisle from me and I recognized the materials she was reading and struck up a conversation." Dettman said that he generally sees her in Washington or on airplanes even though they live in the same neighborhood. Webber said he was impressed with Lang's work in organizing the National Advisory Committee of the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research, which is part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The committee evaluates the quality and effectiveness of health care. Lang received her PhD and master's degrees from Marquette University, a private Jesuit school. She received her bachelor's degree from Alverno College, a Catholic women's college. Mundt said that Marquette, Alverno and UWM are the three biggest nursing schools in Milwaukee. Lang said she decided to become a nurse her sophomore year of college. She went into college as a chemistry and math major, but said she wanted to work with and help people. As a nurse she could use her knowledge of science to do this, and did as a practicing nurse for several years. "I worked with patients who were severely burned and persons who needed rehabilitation," said Lang. Lang became interested in quality care assurance while working in one of the Regional Medical Programs started by President Lyndon Johnson. The program was designed to bring quality medical care to everyone by improved planning. Nursing Professor Jane Barnsteiner said she was very excited about Lang's appointment. "I'm thrilled," Barnsteiner said. "I've followed her work and career for a number of years. I've heard her speak many times." Lang has a husband, son, daughter, dog and cat. She said she is not sure if her college-aged children will join her in Philadelphia. "We're having discussions. They want to know what young people do in Philadelphia," Lang said. Her dog, on the other hand, will definitely be joining her.