In the United States, there are only six black high energy physicists. This and other similarly shocking figures have prompted many at the University to take a long, hard look at what can be done to encourage stronger minority participation in the sciences. And many hope that a new project, which teams University physics students and professors with faculty from Lincoln University in a major research project, may be a start. The project, at the Superconducting Super Collider in Texas, pairs seven major research universities with seven traditionally black colleges in order give minority students research oportunities that are more readily available at larger institutions. "Right now there aren't that many black physicists," said Engineering sophomore Obataihye Austin last week, the only University student participating in program this summer. The program aims to change this paucity by involving minority students in research and encouraging them to enter research-oriented fields. And University physics professor and project co-coordinator Larry Gladney, also emphasized the need for more minority physicists. The predominantly black universities that are participating are primarily teaching, not research, institiutions. Funds from the project will also be used to improve their research facilities, according to Lincoln University physicist Lynn Roberts. "It's very important for kids to learn that there's more than the classroom," Roberts said in a statement. "The main thing is the opportunity to be around scientists, and people see it's a viable career opportunity." The project, partially funded by the state of Texas, is officially a part of the national Super Collider being built in that state. Approximately 10 percent of its cost is set aside for eductation, Gladney said. The project will be run by the Particle Detector Research Center of the SSC. The participants will work with the engineers from computer giant Intel Corp. to develop faster computers, which will then be used to record the subatomic collisions produced in the Supercollider, Gladney said. "We look at the fundamental building blocks of nature. Things that are created here will eventually be filtered into the industry for many uses," Gladney said, citing cancer research and medical diagnosis as two possible uses. Gladney and co-coordinator and physics professor Nigel Lockyer will spend some at the Texas facility, but they will do most of their research at the University, Gladney said. He added that they will spend their time at the Texas site meeting with the paricipants from other universities and explaining how the students' work fits into the whole project. The next phase of the project, Gladney said, will involve setting up a laboratory at Lincoln with Roberts. He said the project, which is still in the planning phase, should last up to five years. Gladney added that he hopes to involve more students from both universities next year.