U.S. House Rep. Thomas Foglietta, who represents the congressional district that includes the University, told a group of twenty students last night that since Operation Desert Storm has been successfully completed, it is time to start "Operation Domestic Storm." Foglietta said in the wake of a foreign success, he thinks the U.S. should focus on alleviating domestic crises in our cities, including Philadelphia. "[It is time] to turn the national attention toward home," Foglietta said. "Philadelphia has the most publicized domestic crises." But Foglietta said he does not believe Philadelphia has any more crises than other large cities. He said it serves as an example of the problems that will be afflicting many of the larger cities in the country in the near future. "[Philadelphia's crises] are only a precursor to similar crises in other cities," the congressman said. Foglietta pointed to a 63 percent decline since 1980 in the budget for domestic problems such as for crime, drugs, and homelessness. He said he is working to reverse this trend. "It is time for the president to show the same level of commitment to [the domestic problems] as to the people of Kuwait," he said. "This country is in desperate need for a national domestic policy." Foglietta and 60 other congressmen have formed a group in the House of Representatives to lobby for more funding and a greater commitment to eliminate domestic problems. Despite Foglietta's hopes to rid the city of its problems, he said he understands the needs of national defense. He said he believes that the U.S. has enough expensive B-2 bombers, but added that the country should continue building aircraft carriers. Foglietta expressed anger about the possibility of the closing of Philadelphia's Navy Yard. He has been at the forefront of the fight to save the Yard, which was recommended for closure by the Defense Department last week. Philadelphia's Navy Yard, Foglietta said, was the most efficient yard in the country and deserves to stay open. "We produced the most work for the least amount of money, and we were under budget for two years," he said. "We had the most effective work force." In response to a question about freedom of speech on university campuses, Foglietta said that, in general, he would support legislation protecting freedom of speech. However, he added that the freedom is not unlimited. "I'm in favor of restoring [freedom of speech]," he said. "I would not vote to limit it." "I think his ideas were valid," Wharton sophomore Amy Raslevich said after the speech. "They are economically feasible but politically impossible."