Don't be put off by the name -- The Law School Light Opera Company offers nothing but friendly, fast-paced, action-packed entertainment with a polished production of Pippin, written by Roger Hirson, and with music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz. This silly musical comedy, which opened last night at Drexel's Mandell Theater, traces the experiences of Pippin, its ingenuous eighth-century hero, from his youthful dreams of glory through military success and sensual excess, to his political rise and fall and, finally, his coming to terms with an average, pastoral existence. Indeed, it is an enjoyable journey. The players, all Law School students, are superb. Most notable is second-year student Todd Cox, who portrays the Leading Player. With his fine voice and lithe, fluid moves, Cox steals every scene in which he appears. Third-year student Jeffrey Cooper's endearing naivete characterizes his Pippin, and third-year student Seth Levin, as Pippin's father Charles, is a scream. First-year student Shannon Louden as bawdy Berthe, Pippin's granny, gives a rollicking rendition of "Simple Joys" and becomes the darling of the show. L.B. Kregenow's deft direction keeps those hearty laughs coming, and fast. The show slows down somewhat in the second half, when the script reaches for seriousness and things start to drag. Bu its quirky, comic surprises do pick up the pace before any uncomfortable delay. The choreography, by Social Work graduate student Gail Cohen and Assistant Law Professor Heidi Hurd, is always a visual pleasure and is quite impressive in more than a few scenes. Although it is best viewed as light-hearted fun, Pippin achieves a startling level of poignancy with its common sense, albeit slightly didactic, advice on life. If you are looking for first-rate entertainment, as well as a sound moral message, you can't miss this weekend with Pippin. The show will continue tonight and tomorrow night at 8 p.m. at Drexel's Mandell Theater, located at 32nd and Chestnut streets.