Several students said yesterday they are pleased with President Sheldon Hackney's decision to fill the former Psi Upsilon fraternity house with a community service living-learning program. Some of the students said they think a program concentrating on service in West Philadelphia shows that the University's priorities are in the right place. Others said they think the president's decision will allow a diverse group of students to live on Locust Walk. Wharton junior Faisal Rashid said the new program is "a step in the right direction," praising the program's stipulation that students in the program represent a "pluralistic" sphere on campus. "Diversity at Penn is something that has always been lacking," he added. Undergraduate Assembly Chairperson Duchess Harris said last night she is glad the president decided on a program that can involve all members of the University, adding that the residence will be unique because both undergraduate and graduate students will be involved. "It's neat that women, people of color, homosexuals, anyone can contribute to community service," Harris said. "It appears to be all-inclusive, and in the center of campus that's a nice thing." Hackney's decision yesterday was based on a recommendation from Vice Provost for University Life Kim Morrisson. Morrisson's statement said the program will allow students to explore the question "What good may I do?" in the community. College Senior Theresa Simmonds, who has been a leader in community service while at the University, praised the decision, but said the question students ask should instead be, "What should I do as a student who has an awful lot of advantages?" Simmonds, a Rhodes scholar, supported two years ago federal legislation proposing $500 million to encourage service through education. She warned that the administration must carefully consider the guidelines for the program. "If not properly structured, the volunteers can be a lot more harm than good," Simmonds said. Diversity on the Walk committee member Anita Hsueh said last night that committee members were pleased with Morrisson's recommendation when the VPUL presented it to the group last week. She said members were "excited that this will benefit the Penn community as well as the outside community." Hsueh, who is the former Panhellenic Council president, also said the president's decision to establish a community service program bodes well for the fate of Locust Walk. "[The committee] discussed the Castle as a sort of model for what we will hopefully see the rest of the Walk becoming," Hsueh said. "Hopefully this will set the tone for whatever space opens up in the next few months." But College senior Steven Schang said last night the house should be reserved for fraternity use. He supported fraternities' arguments that their houses were located on Locust Walk before it was the center of campus. "I personally think it should be given back to the fraternity," Schang said. "[Fraternity] arguments are valid that the University moved around them and forced them to sell out." Staff Writer Stephen Glass contributed to this story.