Approximately 30 students rehashed old arguments about the status of fraternities on Locust Walk at an open forum sponsored yesterday by the Diversity on the Walk Committee. Discussion centered around President Sheldon Hackney's insistence that committee members find a way to diversify the center of campus without forcing fraternities off the Walk. Some participants, including at least one committee member, said the charge restricts the actions and "brainstorming capabilities" of the group. "It is difficult to see all the options within the president's constraints," Progressive Student Alliance member Amadee Braxton said. "I would have a hard time acting on a committee with blinders on." Committee member Susan Garfinkel, who has consistently criticized Hackney's limiting charge, said the group has three options. She said members can either follow Hackney's charge, look at ways to stretch the scope of his charge, or ignore the charge altogether. But Garfinkel's stance that the president's charge should not bind the committee is inconsistent with the position of many other committee members, illustrating that many of last semester's controversies may not yet be settled. Students and committee members also discussed the president's goal for having residents at the center of campus, saying it would "set an exemplary standard for others to emulate." PSA members argued with Interfraternity Council representatives about how fraternities fit into the president's ideal for Locust Walk. They pointed to reports in the past few years of sexual attacks on women at fraternity parties, saying this type of behavior should not be allowed from residents of the Walk. "There are still contradictions in the behavior of fraternities on the Walk and in what Hackney wants for the center of campus," PSA's Braxton said. Braxton insisted that diversity on the Walk must begin with the removal of all fraternities. IFC members defended the Greek system, saying many incidents were the fault of individual fraternity members, and not often of the whole fraternity. IFC President Jim Rettew, after expressing concern that committee members would consider removing Greeks from the Walk, said the fraternity system itself represents diversity on Locust Walk. "My feeling is diversity works well within the fraternity system," Rettew said. "I would stress working with fraternities to diversify the Walk." Rettew added that diversity at the University is also a goal of fraternities. Participants also discussed different perceptions of diversity. Some favored housing several diverse groups in separate houses on the Walk, and others supported mixing diverse students together in each house. Most of the people who spoke at the hearing had varying perceptions of "diversity." A few students suggested ways to fill the vacant former Psi Upsilon house, known as the Castle. Vice Provost for University Life Kim Morrisson will make a recommendation for use of the center campus house to Hackney by the end of next week. Mechanical Engineering Chairperson David Pope, a committee co-chairperson, said no new ideas were brought out at yesterday's forum, but said the committee will probably discuss the participants' arguments again in meetings during the semester. The forum was the the first open hearing sponsored by the 25-person committee since its work began in September. Eight members attended the meeting. The committee will hold another forum at 5 p.m. today in Annenberg School room 110.