College freshman Shelly Bruxvoort was warming up for the Quaker Notes' concert in Center City Wednesday night. The all-female singing group had been invited to perform at the Astronomical Society's national dinner, and they were about to take the stage. Then the word came -- war had broken out. The dinner was shortened and the performance was cancelled. "We were very surprised that [the war] had finally started," Bruxvoort said last week. "We weren't really in the mood to sing and entertain at a time like that." Bruxvoort is among thousands on campus and millions across the country who may never forget where they were the night war broke out. Men's Basketball Coach Fran Dunphy was at St. Joseph's University in the middle of a game when the news of the Persian Gulf war hit the airwaves. But Dunphy did not find out about it until the beginning of the second half, almost an hour after the war had begun. He decided not to tell his team until after the game. "I was flabbergasted," Dunphy said. "I didn't know how to react. I was damned if I told them and damned if I didn't. I just didn't think that there was anything that we could do about it." Dunphy added that when the team found out after the game, many were stunned and speechless. "It made them appreciate how lucky they were to be college students at this point in their lives," Dunphy said. Many students, such as College junior Marc Price, found out immediately because they were watching the evening news or listening to the radio when fighting broke out. "I was watching the news as usual," Price said. "And suddenly Peter Jennings came on and told people what had happened." Price added that in Ware College House, where he lives, many people keep their doors open and the news spread very quickly. But he noted that while many people were temporarily shocked when given the news, it was not totally unexpected. "People really weren't surprised," Price said. "But they definitely took an immediate interest." College freshman Danny Sadinoff was having dinner at Hillel when the news came. "The TV had been on at Hillel almost non-stop since the January 15th deadline," Sadinoff recalled last week. "A big crowd gathered around the television instantaneously to find out what was going on." Basya Meyer, a first year graduate student who was also at Hillel, added that it helped everyone to find out about the war in a group rather than privately. "It was really tense," Meyer said. "People were really glad to be together with other people rather than in their rooms alone." College freshman MaryBeth Eyrich, a cheerleader at men's basketball game, found out from a fan in the stands towards the beginning of the game. She said that the news of war put a damper on the spirits of the cheerleaders. "I think we all felt kind of pointless to be cheering at a basketball game while the U.S. was at war," she said. Actors in the Philadelphia Drama Guild began their performance at Zellerbach Theater at 7:00 p.m. at virtually the same time news of war became clear. But the actors only found out at intermission what had happened.