New Jersey Governor James Florio, who has come under fire in his state for major tax increases, lashed out at his opponents yesterday defending his unpopular policies at a speech last night at Irvine Auditorium. Throughout his 90-minute speech, Florio, a Democrat, who stood firmly behind the podium, said that his tax increases have had the best interests of the public in mind. Florio, who took office this January, mixed humor, statistics, and argument in his attack on the political leadership of the past in his speech before approixmately 300 people. Citing a $3 billion deficit when he took office, he said that the $2 billion of spending cuts and $1 billion in revenues would dramatically improve the state's economy. "It took a while for reality to catch up with New Jersey, but we took action in New Jersey when I came to office," Florio said. Florio dismissed his rapidly dropping public opinion saying it was an inevitable result of him taking action and telling the people the truth. He insisted that people have not been realistic about paying sufficient taxes. "The 'free lunch' was passable in the '80s, which just plain failed to lead," he added. "Leaders did not bring us to a political judgement." Florio said in an interview after the speech that political leaders must be more candid with their constituents. "I guess there's the need for political leaders to be more engaging in society and there's a responsibility to be honest and tell the public what they need to hear," he said. Florio has also been criticized for his execution of a N.J. Supreme Court ruling to equalize education across the Garden State. Florio has lowered government aid to "lighthouse" or academically-successful schools and increase that to urban and less wealthy communities. "We are trying to give every student in the state a quality education," Florio said. "I don't believe in geography, I believe in kids." Florio also touched on several other issues affecting his administration including the environment and infrastructure. Florio noted that the nation as a whole must concentrate more attention toward the deteriorating conditions of the infrastructure. He questioned the nation's ability to remain a superpower without adequate roads and bridges. His speech was both praised and criticized by University students and area residents. "[Florio] spoke of all the good things that would happen after [the tax increase and spending cutsM," said College sophomore Felix Chang. "He doesn't realize what he's doing now is hurting the economy. And he's banking on the future that may not happen; he's banking on fantasy not reality." But another audience member, 1940 College graduate and New Jersey State Senator Walter Rand (D-Gloucester and Camden Counties) praised Florio's policies. "I think he's a very courageous and out-forward leader for the state of New Jersey," Rand said. "People who are leaders and take risks for the people, I respect and admire."