The four speakers were Albert DiBartolomeo, Maurizio Giammarco, Arlene Martin and Anthony Bruno, who read from works by deceased writer John Fante. Temple University graduate DiBartolomeo, whose first novel will be published in early January, read part of a book he is working on. The book deals with an Italian boy's childhood in South Philadelphia. Giammarco, currently in his third year of graduate school at Temple, is a novelist, playwright and book critic. His excerpt from his novel described a young Italian man, Patricio, who joins a terrorist organization. Martin read the opening chapter of her book, The Ways of Loving, in which she discussed Italian-American life. Martin, who graduated magna cum laude from Temple with a journalism degree, also writes short stories and poetry. Anthony Bruno, who has a doctorate degree from the Univerity's School of Social Work, read a John Fante story called "A Kidnapping in the Family." Jerre Mangione, Emeritus Professor of American Literature and author of 10 books, organized and moderated the third annual event. Mangione, who taught at the Universty for 16 years, is a novelist, social historian and literary critic. The event's sponsor was Amici, part of the University's Center for Italian Studies. AMICI Chairperson Annette Rizzo said the group is involved with bringing together various academic subjects in the University under the heading "Italian Studies." AMICI board member Joseph D'Onofrio said the program "is an exemplary case in which an institution of higher learning should be happy to always be available to all American ethnic groups." -- Laura Lieberman