Many University professors win awards for their research in laboratories and libraries. But this year's recipients of the Ira Abrams Awards for Distinguished Teaching are being recognized for their outstanding work in a different area -- the classroom. Physics Professor Walter Wales and German Professor Horst Daemmrich, the 1990 winners of School of Arts and Sciences' highest honor, will recieve $1000 and have their names engraved on the plaque which hangs in College Hall next to the dean's office. The candidates are nominated for the annual award by faculty and students based on their "excellence in teaching." The applications are considered by a committee consisting of four faculty members and four students. In addition to letters of nomination, the curriculum and courses taught by the nominated faculty member are also considered. In addition, at least 10 letters of recommendation are required from students who have taken a class with the nominee, and one letter is required from another fauclty members and the nominee's department chairperson. SAS Dean Hugo Sonnenschein said this week that he read the letters of support submitted about the award candidates and he was very impressed and "delighted" with this year's choices. Not surprisingly, both recipients said they were pleased to have won. Daemmrich, who is chairperson of the German department, said that he was "very delighted to have won," and added that he was "honored" to receive the award as a member of a department "where teaching plays an important role." Daemmrich attributed his recieving the award to the "exceedingly outstanding" University students who have been in his classes. "To honor me is to honor students," Daemmrich said. German Professor Karl Otto said yesterday that Daemmrich was chosen "because he is obviously the best teacher on campus." "Daemmrich has a long tradition of excellence on this campus, a nd without a doubt he is totally deserving of this award," Otto said. Wales, who is also an associate SAS Dean, said he was "suprised and pleased" to have won the award. Physics Department Chairperson Gino Segre said yesterday that "Wales has been an excellent and devoted teacher, and he has always gotten the highest ratings in teaching."