10-07-21-septa-roger-ge

Governor Josh Shapiro proposed an additional $282.2 million in funding for public transit.

Credit: Roger Ge

Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro plans to propose an additional $282.8 million for public transit in his new budget, administration officials announced on Jan. 29.

The 2024-25 budget proposal marks the first major increase in state funding for public transit in over a decade, according to the announcement from the governor's office. The proposal, which would provide nearly $1.5 billion in state funding over a period of five years, comes as SEPTA prepares for service cuts and a fare increase.

“Investing in and improving our public transit systems is a commonsense way to create good-paying jobs, spur economic development, and help Pennsylvanians reach their destinations safely,” Shapiro said in a statement.

SEPTA would receive the largest proportion of the new funding, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer.

At a public meeting on Thursday, SEPTA's Board of Directors said that they were considering a fare increase of around 30% and service cuts of 20% on bus, subway, trolley, and Regional Rail service. These cuts would likely take place in September, with a fare increase possibly occurring sooner.

Some community members have protested the oncoming SEPTA cuts, demanding more support for transit. Save the Train — a coalition of 18 neighborhood groups in Northwest Philadelphia — has started a petition urging Shapiro to find a funding solution for transit.

Mayor Cherelle Parker and City Council President Kenyatta Johnson called for Shapiro to increase funding for SEPTA in an open letter released Saturday night.

“Without additional investments, SEPTA would be forced to cut service levels and increase fares — setting off a chain of negative consequences for local residents and businesses, the regional economy and over time, Commonwealth tax revenues,” Parker and Johnson wrote.

A plan that would have allocated an even larger share to transit and given SEPTA $190 million a year did not make it into the December budget deal. However, the new budget would still mark the largest bump in the state’s share of public transportation funding since 2013.

In his statement on Jan. 29, Shapiro said that his administration was willing to make a "major investment" in SEPTA provided the system continues pursuing plans to improve safety and cleanliness.

“I want to thank Governor Shapiro, who has been proactively engaged with SEPTA and our partners for months to construct this strong funding proposal to address our most pressing needs and enable [us] to continue serving our communities,” SEPTA CEO and General Manager Leslie Richards told the Inquirer