04-16-24-track-practice-weining-ding

Penn sprinter Bella Whittaker announced her graduate transfer to Arkansas on Apr. 22.

Credit: Weining Ding

After a successful season that has seen Penn track and field break numerous program records, The Daily Pennsylvanian got the chance to interview three Quakers who have found great success this campaign and are poised to excel at the 128th Penn Relay Carnival. 

First up is senior sprinter Bella Whittaker, who has dominated all year. This year alone, she has set Ivy League and program records in the 4x400-meter relay and 4x100-meter relays. At this year’s Relays, Whittaker will be a member of the 4x400 relay team, entering the competition with the third-fastest time this season. Whittaker also has her sights set on making the trip to Paris later this summer to represent Team USA at the Olympics.

The DP also spoke to senior steeplechase specialist Liv Morganti. Morganti currently holds the program record in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 9:59.41. This past year at the indoor Heptagonal Championships, Morganti also set the program record in the mile with a time of 4:40.01 — good enough for a second place finish. Morganti will be running the 3,000 steeplechase at this year’s Relays and is also predicted to finish third in the event.

Finally, junior pole vaulter Jimmy Rhoads recently broke the program pole vault record with a 5.62 meter jump at the Mt. SAC Relays. That mark is also good for third in the history of the Ivy League. Rhoads has his sights set on a strong finish at this year's Relays, and hopes to represent the Red and Blue well on their home turf.

Q1: What sport do you play?

Bella Whittaker: I do track and field. I'm a long sprinter, so [I do] the 400-meter mainly.

Liv Morganti: I do women's cross country and track and field.

Jimmy Rhoads: Track and field, pole vault. 

Q2: Is there a coach or athlete you look up to?

Whittaker: I would say the biggest athlete I look up to is my younger sister. She's actually an athlete as well. She runs the 800m, so I would say that she’s probably one of my biggest inspirations on the track.

Morganti: I come from a family of runners. My dad is one of five [siblings], and all of them ran in college. My mom ran in college, that’s how my parents met, and I have cousins across the NCAA that compete at a high level, so I would say my family for sure.

Rhoads: Definitely my teammates right now, Ben [Šachta] and Scott [Toney].

Q3: What is your favorite memory of athletics, competing or not?

Whittaker: One of my favorite memories is probably [back in January], I broke the Ivy League record, a huge [personal best] in the indoor 400m. I was super emotional after it happened, and I was flooded by support from my family — like, it was the best feeling ever.

Morganti: We won the Ivy League Championships [on Feb. 28], and it was really close when it came down to the last relay race. Our 4x4 girls always get it done. They crossed the line, and that was a great way to end my senior indoor season.

Rhoads: Probably Nationals this year, where I got fourth [in pole vault].

Q4: How do you prepare for a competition?

Whittaker: I’m a big meditator. I meditate [and] do this little 15-minute meditation the morning before I compete. That really calms me [and] brings me down to earth. That’s probably one of my biggest preps for a competition.

Morganti: I just do what I normally do. I wake up in the morning, and I have peanut butter banana toast, and I hang out. I try to get my mind right [for the competition].

Rhoads: I just sleep well, eat well, and try to be loose before the competition. 

Q5: What’s one thing you can’t live without?

Whittaker: My headphones. I need my headphones. I can’t walk around just, like, thinking in my own thoughts. I need music.

Morganti: I can’t live without 10 hours of sleep!

Rhoads: Pole vaulting!

Q6: Any hot takes?

Whittaker: Some people don't wear socks with their spikes. I think that’s really weird, and I don't think you should do that, so don't do that. No one wants to see your dogs out at track meets, respectfully. 

Morganti: I wear toe socks, every day, and people don't like them, but I'll tell you what: They make you faster.

Rhoads: This is a bit of a sport one; probably that gymnastics is the hardest sport.

Q7: What is something most people don’t know about you?

Whittaker: I can actually do the worm. If you want me to do it, I'll do it. You don't even have to force me. [proceeds to do the worm]

Morganti: I have two dogs and three cats, and have always had frogs, fish, snakes, every kind of pet growing up.

Rhoads: I have 10 cats at home. [laughs]

Q8: What is your favorite study spot?

Whittaker: Right now, Milkcrate. It's also slightly off campus. It's a little coffee shop. Shout out to Milkcrate. I love it there.

Morganti: Um, I don't really like to study. [laughs] Not that I don’t like to study. I don’t like to study on campus, like, I will sit in my bed to do work every time.

Rhoads: I don’t study much, but just at my own house.

Q9: If you could tell your freshman year self something, what would it be?

Whittaker: It would be to enjoy the journey. I think that I am a really impatient person, like I really like results quick. I think I’ve learned to be a little more patient and wait for what I want. I put in the work every day, so I think just to enjoy that journey, just enjoy that [process of] putting in the work.

Morganti: That’s a tough one. I was in a much different spot with running and with everything my freshman year. I would tell myself that it all gets better, it just keeps getting better. 

Rhoads: Care less about school, for sure. Focus more on track.

Q10: What are your goals this year, both in and out of competition?

Whittaker: I want to get to Olympic Trials, that’s a big goal of mine. I want to get to the finals of Olympic Trials. I want to make it to the Olympics, like the big goals. I want to run 49 point [seconds] in the 400m. Outside of that, I just want to be confident. I want to be that girl on the track but also in every aspect of my life. I want to carry that into it no matter the circumstances.

Morganti: The biggest thing that I have my eyes on is, it's an Olympic year this year, so I want to qualify for the Olympic Trials in the steeplechase and compete. Outside of athletics, I want to take in every bit of my senior year and just appreciate all of it.

Rhoads: I hope to jump 5.70m and I hope to qualify for Olympic Trials. Win conference [Ivy League Outdoor Heps] too, that would be nice. I'm all focused on track.