In the men’s swimming season opener, Penn fell to Columbia in nail-biting fashion, 154-146, Friday night at Sheerr Pool.

Ahead just one point before the gun went off for the final event — the 400 freestyle relay — the Quakers had to win the race in order to win the meet.Although sophomore Rhoads Worster put in a great effort on the final leg, the Lions took the event by nearly a second and went home with a victory.

Although his performance was not enough to secure the win, senior Brendan McHugh, who also raced the final relay, continued his dominance from last season and led Penn all night with three event wins: 100 and 200 breaststroke, as well as the 200 individual medley.

The Quakers recovered quickly though, defeating the Huskies, 177-123, on Sunday at Connecticut.

Penn jumped out to a lead early on and never looked back.

Worster led the team with four wins: the 100 and 200 butterfly, 200 medley relay and 400 freestyle relay.

McHugh won two races, including the 100 breaststroke and the 200 medley relay. Senior Cam Hood also pitched in, winning the 500 and 1000 free.

The women, on the other hand, dropped their opening meet at Connecticut, 161-139. In her first collegiate action, freshman Taylor Sneed won the 100 backstroke and 100 butterfly.

With a win under its belt, the men’s team looks ready and poised for a huge weekend at home, where the Quakers will face Ivy League opponents Cornell on Nov. 18 and Princeton on Nov. 19.