volleyballTeam

Freshman Parker Jones led the way with 44 kills, but Penn volleyball had numerous standouts at the George Mason Invitational.

Credit: Natalie Kahn

Well, that didn't take long. After lighting up the box score in her first three matches as a member of Penn volleyball, freshman outside hitter Parker Jones is our first Player of the Week for the new school year. 

The Quakers went 2-1 on their season-opening trip to Virginia, dropping their opening matchup in five sets against Campbell before bouncing back with a pair of wins in the form of a four-set victory over Central Michigan and a clean sweep of George Mason. 

Credit: Julia Schorr

The freshman from California played a major role in the team's success. Jones had 44 kills over the three games, including 13 in her collegiate debut and a staggering 21 in her second game. She also had six block assists, and her performance in the first two games earned her the first start of her career in the team's third matchup. 

On a team that graduated zero seniors this past spring, playing time will be hard to come by. But if Jones keeps performing at a high level, fellow Penn newcomer and head coach Katie Schumacher-Cawley will have to make room for her on the court. 

But the team's veterans didn't let the new faces steal all the thunder. Senior captain Kendall Covington had an outstanding weekend, with 29 kills and a very strong .383 hitting percentage. Covington and Jones were both named to the George Mason Invitational All-Tournament Team.