rowing48

All three Penn rowing squads were in action over the weekend. The women's team (pictured) finished second out of three in all four of their races. 

Credit: Zach Sheldon

It was a busy day for Penn's rowers on Saturday, with the three squads having mixed results.

The men's heavyweight crew found themselves on Lake Carnegie, racing against host Princeton and fellow Ivy League rival Columbia. The Quakers finished second in the Varsity 8 race with a time of 6:21.4. Penn kept it close with the Tigers, who won with a time of 6:18.9, and both squads finished well ahead of the Lions' 6:35.2 mark. In the Second Varsity 8 race, the standings remained the same. Princeton won with a time of 6:15 flat, beating Penn's 6:20.5 and Columbia's 6:26.3.

The men's lightweight team was also on Lake Carnegie after concern over flooding moved the races off of the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia. Penn finished last against Cornell and Harvard in the Varsity 8 race, although the Quakers' time of 6:22.8 was just 5.9 seconds behind the victorious Cornell. In the Second Varsity 8 race, Penn finished second with a time of 6:31.8, three seconds behind Harvard but well ahead of Cornell.

The Quakers finished with a disastrous 7:07.6 time in the Third Varsity 8 race, 28 seconds behind Cornell and over 30 seconds behind Harvard. The Crimson had the first two boats crossing the line in the Fourth Varsity 8 race, while the Red and Blue finished fourth with another 7:07.6 mark (this time only 12 seconds behind Cornell).

The women had four races at Yale against the Bulldogs and Dartmouth, and finished as the runner-up in each race, with the hosts going undefeated and the Big Green finishing last across the board. The Varsity 8 finished their race in 6:11.4, edging Dartmouth by three seconds but not threatening a Yale squad that clocked in at just under six minutes. The Second Varsity 8 boat did slightly better for the women, with the Quakers crossing the line at 6:10.4. The First and Second Varsity 4 boats for Penn finished with times of 7:01 flat and 7:07.5, respectively.

The women will have this coming weekend off before heading to the Clemson Invitation in South Carolina over Spring Fling weekend. Both men's teams will visit Yale on Saturday.