43174_rafael_robbf_1

Rafael Robb has asked for funds to use as living expenses when he is released. 

Credit: Matt Rourke

Former Penn professor Rafael Robb, whose 2006 manslaughter of his wife became a Philadelphia-area media sensation, has asked a judge to release $100,000 of his frozen assets for living expenses when he leaves prison in a month’s time. The story was first reported by Philly.com.

Robb, a former economics professor specializing in game theory, bludgeoned his wife to death on Dec. 22, 2006 following a dispute about their holiday plans. His wife, Ellen Gregory Robb, had reportedly been in the early stages of asking for a divorce.

In 2014, while Robb was still serving his 10-year sentence, considered by the victim's family to be too lenient, a jury ordered him to pay $128 million in damages to his wife’s estate. The funds are slated to go to the couple’s daughter.

Robb is now asking that some of his money — currently frozen by legal order — be released for him to spend when he finishes his sentence.

Ellen Gregory Robb’s family members, who were vocal opponents of the 10-year sentence, have argued that the wealthy professor has acted “above the law” with his finances by attempting to shield money from authorities. Robb admitted to transferring $250,000 to his sister abroad during a 2014 deposition, Philly.com reported.

Robb has confessed to killing his wife, which took place at the couple’s home in Upper Merion Township, telling a jury in 2007 that he simply ‘lost it’ on the night of the killing.

Montgomery County Judge Thomas M. DelRicci has called a hearing in Norristown on Tuesday.