septa

The PennComm Operations Center now has access to live security camera feeds from the underground subway stations around campus through a partnership with the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA).

Credit: Morgan Rees

Discussions between the members of the Transport Workers Union Local 234 (TWU) and SEPTA reached a low point on Thursday night, according to 6abc

Since many members of the union organized a strike three days ago in an effort to improve pensions for the workers, the city has experienced multiple transit delays. 

On Thursday night, TWU President Willie Brown met up with major leaders of SEPTA to discuss a temporary suspension of the strike on Election Day. Rep. Bob Brady (D-Pa.) told 6abc that he is worried that without the transit system at full efficiency next Tuesday, many citizens will not make the efforts to go to the polls unless they are within walking distance.

"I've been talking to a lot of folks in TWU, and [I'll see] what we can do to be supportive in bridging gaps," state Rep. Jordan Harris told 6abc. Harris also said he is nervous about the strike decreasing voter turnout.

Although SEPTA told the public on Wednesday that they are conducting negotiations with the union in "good faith," TWU has refused to comply with any of the requests that SEPTA has offered them so far. 

Brown noted that he is looking for a long-term solution towards raising the workers' pensions, rather than any sort of short-term fix. That is the main reason why the union denied that they would suspend their strike for next Tuesday's election, as their members do not want to concede to any of SEPTA's demand unless it means that their pension plans will be revised. 

Penn Transit has announced that they will try to help students and faculty with a complimentary transit service while the strike continues.