emilysands

Having already accumulated a team-high six points through four games, freshman midfielder Emily Sands was named Ivy League Rookie of the Week in her second week in action.

Credit: Ananya Chandra , Ananya Chandra

Considering they have yet to even take their first college midterm, a pair of Penn freshman athletes had quite precocious weeks for their respective teams.

Women’s soccer’s Emily Sands and volleyball’s Caroline Furrer both picked up Ivy League Rookie of the Week Awards following high-scoring performances that led their teams to winning non-conference weekends.

Sands played a part in three out of the four Quaker goals this weekend. After picking up an assist in Friday’s 2-1 win over Lafayette, the West Chester, Pa., native tallied a goal and picked up another assist as Penn took down Delaware by the same score on Sunday.

Sands is now tied for the team lead with six points on the season, sharing the distinction with fellow freshman Emma Loving.

Meanwhile, Furrer excelled in her first-ever home action, leading volleyball to a 3-1 record in the Penn Invitational. Her 51 kills led the squad, 20 of which came in a victory of George Mason.

Furrer’s award was the first weekly Ivy League award of any kind for Penn volleyball since the 2014 season.

These were hardly the only impressive performances by rookies on the young season — Loving leads the team with three goals and 11 shots while Zoe Macartney leads the team with a .321 hitting percentage in limited time in her first season for Penn volleyball.