late_night_show

Students held the first live taping of newly launched show "The Late Night" last Friday at the Platt Student Performing Arts House.

Credit: Lulu Wang

While the city was eagerly waiting for the arrival of the Pope last week, students were making their mark on Penn history by launching a new monthly late-night variety and talk show.

“The Late Night” had its first live taping at the Platt Student Performing Arts House on Sept. 25. The first show followed a traditional late-night format, featuring the day’s news, a monologue, comedy sketches, interviews and guest performances.

“The Late Night” is led by host Daniel Locker, a College senior, and co-host, Alexa Fecca, also a College senior. The show included an interview with Undergraduate Assembly President Jane Meyer and performances by CityStep.

In her interview with Locker, Meyer discussed how despite being the president of the UA, she is similar to any other student on campus. In a clip, Meyer confessed she faces inherent risks and sacrifices in her position, similar to “colleagues” President Barack Obama and Pope Francis.

Sketch and monologue topics included on- and off- campus themes and, perhaps unsurprisingly, Donald Trump.

The show also featured interactive games and challenges. In one segment, Locker asked a volunteer go outside with the producer and bring back three freshman without asking them their graduating years. The volunteer was successful. 

Locker and Fecca both had opportunities to gain “real-life” perspectives on the entertainment world through their summer internships. Locker worked as a research and general production intern for “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon,” and Fecca worked as a project management intern for NFL Films.

The next episode of “The Late Night” will be filmed on Oct. 30.